Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Visualizing Linux Performance Data In New Ways

  1. #11

    Default

    Are you familiar with Tufte? It would be well worth your time to read his book(s) if you haven't.
    http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's highlighting the worst and best, but due to an exhausted color pallete for that particular file, it ended up using the same color for the worst and best.
    Green or Blue for the best and Red for the worst?

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Green or Blue for the best and Red for the worst?
    Right, it's usually green for best.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Posts
    323

    Default

    I don't actually understand what I'm looking at with the arc display. It's not immediately apparent what's being compared and which is better than which. Seems like a normal scatter plot would be better.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    only 2 of them really problematic. the first and the second really optical the same.

    only the third are a little different.
    Depends on the screen...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Improvements? Maybe when we will get labels on the axes. Which is not really an improvement. Just, uhm, scientific standard.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I don't actually understand what I'm looking at with the arc display. It's not immediately apparent what's being compared and which is better than which. Seems like a normal scatter plot would be better.
    Yeah, they look impressive at first glance, but then you realize it's not that easy to read, probably because they are upside down. Usually these things are more useful with the base at the bottom and not at the top left corner. Also, I have to point out once again that most of these graphs and tables don't make me want to look at them for more than 5 seconds, mainly because of outdated design and bad colors all around. When I have some spare time I might do some hacking on PTS to make it more pleasant to the eyes.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    When I have some spare time I might do some hacking on PTS to make it more pleasant to the eyes.
    You're more than welcome to, thanks.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    343

    Default

    in every graph i dont know what next steps are for...
    ie:
    http://www.phoronix.com/data/img/res...ac_power/2.png

    and same here, GPU have 28 differend "towers" dunno what does it mean...

    same with colors..
    some1 fix it and i will buy you a beer

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoedsloth View Post
    Are you familiar with Tufte? It would be well worth your time to read his book(s) if you haven't.
    http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi
    Too low ROI.

    XD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •