Thread: Mesa Gets OpenGL 3.0 Floating-Point Depth Buffers

Hybrid View

Default Mesa Gets OpenGL 3.0 Floating-Point Depth Buffers

Phoronix: Mesa Gets OpenGL 3.0 Floating-Point Depth Buffers

Yet again Marek Olk has made another great improvement to Mesa. Recently this independent developer has been working quite a lot in implementing OpenGL 3.0 support for the open-source Mesa stack. Ending out this weekend, he now has working OGL3 floating-point depth buffers per the GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float extension...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY1NQ

if 7.12 or 8.0 isnt gonna be out till Jan, wonder if Dodgy Fedora will use a unstable release to test in F16

Michael, is it possible to enable quick reply on the board? it sucks happening to go advanced all the time

"initial depth_buffer_float render-buffer support into the R600 Gallium3D driver for the Radeon HD 5000 series and newer."

Isn't this supported by older GPUs too? I'm pretty sure HD4000 supports this.

Marek pushed it for r600/700 and accidentally for EG+. The latter has been removed again since it's still WIP.

I do quite a bit of wine gaming. How is the state of support in these drivers for playing for example Civilization 4?

With mesa 7.11 rc1 have just been released, I don't suppose there's much chance of this work being included in 7.11 final, or even 7.11.1?

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    I do quite a bit of wine gaming. How is the state of support in these drivers for playing for example Civilization 4?
    It should be working fine.