[GM45] SNA is amazingly fast, 50% boost!
I'm impressed, really... from 57fps to 90+fps in openarena, I still don't believe it...
You will need xorg-server git + 8 patches, please see:
Without the patches I didn't notice any real performance improvement.
Again, congrats to Intel developers, as I said recently the "most terrible open source driver ever" is becoming the best
I don't think intel's opensource drivers are terrible at all. So far in my linux adventures intel has been one of the best out of the box experiences. I recently switched from an ati laptop to one with intel ironlake graphics and it works quite well. Even have working h.264 video acceleration
There are definitely some issues though. for example if you enable opengl acceleration in firefox everything is horrifically slow, similar issue with chrome dev although it doesn't get slower, but it doesn't really get any faster either lol.
I hope these changes improve things further.
I had problems like:
- No native backlight support (almost solved, there is support since 2.6.39 but it still does not work well).
- Spurious S-Video TV detection (the most terrible one, still not solved mainline, but at least now there is a patch to apply).
- Still no h264 decoding in git master.
- Crashes, lots of crashes.
- Broken compositing.
- Custom edid not working properly.
- Much more....