Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Phoronix Guide To Oktoberfest 2011

ever heard of Berliner Biermeile?

http://www.bierfestival-berlin.de/

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    There are Semmelknödel in Bavaria too, depends on the meal and the place what you get - Spätzl arent that uncommon either.

edit: and yes, schwaben does not really belong to bayern ;P
    even the bread, rolls and pretzels taste differend

a bavarian "Brezen":

and a schwaben Brezeln:

the schwaben version is much more fat on the top and it does have a wite open knife blate withe line on the fat top part. and yes it taste different!

The last (and first) time I tried making pretzels at home some looked like the upper picture, some looked like the lower picture, and some didn't look like pretzels at all. I gave the really bad ones to the dogs before anyone else saw them.
    Last edited by bridgman; 07-17-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The last (and first) time I tried making pretzels at home some looked like the upper picture, some looked like the lower picture, and some didn't look like pretzels at all. I gave the really bad ones to the dogs before anyone else saw them.
    i just notified PETA for cruelty towards animals

(j/k)

on a serious note baking IS extremely tricky and hardly anyone reveals all the secrets in a recipe making it even more difficult

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    on a serious note baking IS extremely tricky and hardly anyone reveals all the secrets in a recipe making it even more difficult
    i can teach you if you want ;-)

for the schwaben one:

get 500 g of Wheat powder extra fine and dry yeast for 500g powder and now the cheat part get 100g of clean 100% gluten proteins and baking soda for 1kg powder you also need salt and high dangerous '''Natriumhydrogencarbonate''' the dangerous secret of the brezeln.

now put the powder and the gluten and the dry yeast into a pot
    !!!and do NOT ad the baking soda yet!!!
    now ad 150-200ml of water first less and if its to hard more and then knead it
    the you need time 1h-2h )60-120minutes( now the yeast works

then you ad the baking soda and knead it again now you cut it into 5 pieces and roll sausages and the mid need to be bigger than the ends you need 30-40cm sausages and now the magic trick of the brezeln make an downward '''U''' and Cross the ends like an '''X''' then the down end goes upper the other one and put it into the bigger part and then the other left up the X and put it into the bigger part.

now do it on a baking tray

and now the high dangerous part you need to wear gloves and saver eye glasses put 2,5g of '''Natriumhydrogencarbonate''' into 50ml water and brush the brezeln.

now you let the yast work again for 30 minutes and you need to heat up your oven up to 220C then you put the stuff into it!

you need to wait 20-25 minutes ti finish your work.

now you are a bakery Master!

It's not only in pretzels (i have read that Lye was the key in success but never tried making any, i ll keep your recipe )

Its a general observation for pastry stuff and baking and also in many cases professional bakers use ingredients that are not easily available for the home cook.

Apart from the ingredients there are things like environment temperature humidity etc that affect doughs. Also you have to be very precise in everything you do ie resting and proofing times oven temperatures and preparation (ie steaming) and many other things that the average cookbook doesn't describe properly.

Default Oktoberfest

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Most munichs I know dont go the the Oktoberfest anymore because they dont feel at home, it was much better 10-15 years ago. Now its some kind of multi-international Springbreak or something

The same thing has happened at many of the Oktoberfest festivals in the USA - They more often resemble St. Patrick's Day than a German beer festival or German beer garden.

I think nothing beats the Englischer Garten in the spring for the perfect biergarten experience.

Quote Originally Posted by scytheman View Post
    ever heard of Berliner Biermeile?

http://www.bierfestival-berlin.de/
    No, but that's during the Desktop Summit. Definitely going to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by bamtar View Post
    I think nothing beats the Englischer Garten in the spring for the perfect biergarten experience.
    Last I knew though at most of the biergartens in Englischer Garten they only served HB

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    It's not only in pretzels (i have read that Lye was the key in success but never tried making any, i ll keep your recipe )

Its a general observation for pastry stuff and baking and also in many cases professional bakers use ingredients that are not easily available for the home cook.

Apart from the ingredients there are things like environment temperature humidity etc that affect doughs. Also you have to be very precise in everything you do ie resting and proofing times oven temperatures and preparation (ie steaming) and many other things that the average cookbook doesn't describe properly.
    "in many cases professional bakers use ingredients that are not easily available for the home cook. "

sure home cooks normally do not have high dangerous substances like 'Sodium bicarbonate' or special stuff like 100% purely gluten

Gluten is also to hold more Carbon dioxide to get more impact of the yeast and bakery soda.

and sure professionals also ad Ascorbic acid for even faster bigger impact of the Carbon dioxide because the ascorbic acid makes the dough hold more of carbon dioxide.

your imagination of the lye isn't the full story because only sodium bicarbonate lye brings the best result.

i also use sodium-carbonate lye in an boiling water to dive the bretzeln in it but you get a complete different result.

and another different is non professionals try to get the carbon dioxide in the dough by letting the yeast work.. but this is to slow for professionals so say just ad yeast for the taste and use bakery soda to get the Carbon dioxide

professionals can work very fast means instantly because they do not wait for the yeast.

you can do the same just ad double of dried yeast and bakery soda and do it instantly but waiting is cheaper.

and sure professional ovens are hot 400C-500C but this isn't so important you only taste the different if you make Pizza a pizza taste much better if you use an 500C professional oven this is because of the speed the pizza loses less taste by water boiling because its so fast 4-5 mins only.