Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: A Possible Workaround For The S3TC Patent Situation

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    What you believe is irrelevant. Everything, when in the hands of a HUMAN, is selective.
    It is about the IMPORTANCE of enforcing your rights. Why is it so important NOW when it wasn't BEFORE?
    Oh, so this isn't really ABOUT your IP, its about playing games. OK. DENIED.
    You said earlier that there were lots of cases where this had happened. Can you please point to a single example? Or is this completely based on your imagination of what you wish would happen?

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    To those saying "ignore it": consider that people from the US aren't really at fault for their broken patent system and can't normally do anything about it.

It's not fair to bitch when something is US-only and "we" can't access it, and then turn around and say "fuck em" when the tables have turned.

Great work from the Xonotic developers, I hope this gets included in Mesa soon!
    I can only say it's your choice whether you obey the law or not. And frankly, this isn't just about clearly breaking some law or not, this whole situation is unclear and no major organisation is willing to take the risk of finding out. I can understand that, but why not shift the risk to users then?

Hypothetically speaking, how would S3 even go about enforcing this patent in case end-users violate it? And consider who's the end-user in this case. I don't think they'd have an easy time doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    With the increase of graphics RAM and streaming texture code, this entire compression thing might as well use the ZIP algorithm just for bandwith purposes and decompress with shaders...
    You don't understand how GPUs work or what texture compression accomplishes. DXTC/S3TC is specifically designed to be (near) instantly decompressable with a massively-parallel processor without needing to make a large number of memory accesses.

Deflate/gzip/lzma/etc. all require you to essentially start reading a file at the beginning and scanning through it to the part you want to access. That would mean a pixel shader goes from an O(1) operation on a simple texture access to an O(N) operation. You'd essentially slam the GPU back into the stone age by requiring that kind of texture access at runtime.

If you're implying that we should just store textures uncompressed in video memory, then you are making two very silly assumptions. First, you're assuming that having 1GB of video memory means that we can just slap uncompressed raw textures for a modern game into vmem and have room to spare; that's just ridiculously wrong. Second, you're assuming that the size of memory has no impact on performance of memory accesses inside of shaders, which is also wrong for any well-designed memory controller (especially when the underlying memory layout uses tiling to make any additional texture lookups in a particular shader likely to all closely coincide with the address of first lookup).

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'm sure the hardware engineers and specification authors never thought of that before, ever. Your power of Internet forum logic will surely revolutionize the GPU industry and free them of the evil patent tyrants.

There are other, unpatented, texture compression schemes, though. They just aren't used as often as S3TC because that was put into DirectX a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    There are other, unpatented, texture compression schemes, though.
    Notably including RGTC, which is required by OpenGL 3.0, and already supported in Mesa on at least swrast, i965c, r300g, r600g and nouveau.
    Mesa also supports LATC, but only only on swrast, r300g and r600g. LATC is, like S3TC, not required by any OpenGL version, but still supported by the blobs.

Developers of free games should probably investigate whether RGTC or LATC is suitable for their needs before committing to S2TC...
    Last edited by Jonno; 07-20-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Here are summaries of the image file format .gif patent story

http://www.kyzer.me.uk/essays/giflzw/

http://www.cloanto.com/users/mcb/19950127giflzw.html

http://burnallgifs.org/

Maybe they can serve how to handle this patent.

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), the basic idea behind this workaround is that if games pass an S3TC compressed texture to mesa, it will pass it through to the graphics card which will uncompress it in hardware. Presumably the assumption here is that the graphics card vendor has a patent license for S3TC decode so all will be well.

Is this true, though? I have a vague memory of reading something somewhere that vendors' patent rights are very narrow and may only cover the use of the graphics hardware in combination with the proprietary driver, so having an open source driver tell the hardware, here, decode this, may still run afoul of the patent.

You may be right, but Mesa already takes the risk of passing raw data through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
    Notably including RGTC, which is required by OpenGL 3.0, and already supported in Mesa on at least swrast, i965c, r300g, r600g and nouveau.
    Mesa also supports LATC, but only only on swrast, r300g and r600g. LATC is, like S3TC, not required by any OpenGL version, but still supported by the blobs.

Developers of free games should probably investigate whether RGTC or LATC is suitable for their needs before committing to S2TC...
    Neither is, as not enough graphics chipsets support them yet

RGTC also is only suitable for normalmaps - it is "Red/Green Texture Compression" after all and cannot encode a blue channel. And LATC only contains luminance and alpha.

Furthermore, from reading the RGTC extension spec, I am very sure it infringes on the S3TC patent, as it makes use of the very same compression technique (namely, inferred color values). In fact, it is identical to S3TC/DXT5 alpha channel encoding. Instead, RGTC and LATC are special cases that I maybe should support with a subset in my S2TC compressor too. I guess Mesa is taking the risk, because the format has a different name and RGTC support is not "universally known" to be mostly identical to one S3TC mode.
    Last edited by divVerent; 07-21-2011 at 01:45 AM.

A little update on the 0 A.D. hack as I remember more: on Linux it tried to initialize OpenGL, if S3TC ext is not available it setenv force_s3tc_enable=1 (env variable to force S3TC in mesa for S3TC decompression only) and reinitialize OpenGL. If S3TC ext is now available it will use it for decompressing only. Dunno if it still

Anyway I remember there were a lot of proposal to workaround the S3TC patent, e.g: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~csimpso...tc-by-the-book
    Just search on the ML for many others but no one was ever accepted.

This somewhat reminds me the attempts at proving the Riemann hypothesis...