Thread: XL Engine For Games Is Being Brought To Linux

Hybrid View

Default XL Engine For Games Is Being Brought To Linux

Phoronix: XL Engine For Games Is Being Brought To Linux

The XL Engine, a game engine designed to run enhanced remakes/ports of classic game titles, is being ported to Linux. Not only does this run ports of classic games, but at the same time there's visual improvements, this cross-platform capabilities, greater support for mods, and other reported benefits...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY5NA

Kinda cool I guess. I've played Dark Forces on DOSbox, but it was always a little wonky.

Woooo! Time to dust off my Daggerfall CD.

Excellent! I've been meaning to play Daggerfall again sometime fairly soon and this seems like a better solution than DOSBox.

Pretty cool. I played a lot of Daggerfall when I were a young'un.

Side note: I really hate when "open source" projects come out where they're closed source until some mythical release date. Some people just don't understand what opens source is or why/how it works. :/

Did he ever say it was open source now, today, this moment (either recently or in the past)? If not, then I don't see what your gripe is about.

On topic-ish: It's cool how Daggerfall is available for free, I didn't know that. It'd be nice if Dark Forces was; I played a demo a while back and it was pretty fun. I think there were only three levels playable, but there were plenty of fun puzzles and hidden areas to find, so the full version must be even better.