Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Dislike or Hate About Ubuntu?

= Software =
    (1) PulseAudio problems (in the process of being fixed)

I find that PulseAudio consumes too much CPU.
    I had a basic PC (Athlon64 3200+) with Ubuntu 8.04 (using ALSA) that used 0% CPU for playing back sound. Skype was using 40% CPU.
    Now I have a i5-2520M (2 cores, 4 threads) CPU, Ubuntu 11.04, and I see PulseAudio using between 2 and 6% CPU when playing back music. And when I use Skype I get 65% CPU usage (40% skype and 25% PulseAudio). I've tried all kinds of tweaks found online but none helped.

I wish ubuntu would make it easy to switch between pulse and alsa (ATM is a PITA to switch).

Hate: inclusion of mono as default on the vanilla Ubuntu release CD. Main reason why I moved away from Ubuntu, and why I prefer to install Xubuntu or Kubuntu on new users' computers. That can of worms is best left closed.

I don't dislike Unity. It sure is flaky still, but I think the concepts are sound, and I'm prefectly ok with not being the intended audience.

As for marketing and advertising, I DO think increasing the mindshare of Linux is as valuable a contribution to FOSS as plain code. Wasn't it for that Ubuntu wallpaper I saw on someone's computer back in 2007, I'd still think of Linux as a black screen with a penguin in the top left corner, and a text prompt, only good at operating servers through arcane commands.

Dislike:
    - the fact that they are using an outdated version of Mono that doesn't support .Net 4.0
    - the fact that the Mono packaging is extremely convoluted (this problem is actually inherited from Debian)
    - the performance and instability of closed-source applications like fglrx, flash or skype (this issue is common to all linux distributions)
    - lack of smooth/pixel-perfect scrolling (this affects all current linux distributions)
    - the copyright assignment requirement for contributions to core applications
    - high-visibility bugs and feature requests being ignored and/or closed without communication
    - too centralized development process that turns away opportunistic delevopers and outside contributors

Like:
    - the new Unity interface. It is a large step up from Gnome 3 in usability and prettier than KDE4.
    - the new installer. My line of work involves formatting/re-installing systems and Ubuntu is significantly simpler and faster to install than Windows and all other Linux distros I've tried.
    - good touchpad / multitouch support
    - Launchpad & Bazaar are awesome
    - Ubuntu One for backup and file sharing
    - great and far-reaching community
    - nice fonts, font rendering and general appearance
    - the fact that Ubuntu has converted many friends away from Windows. This includes people that I didn't expect to like Ubuntu (e.g. hardcore gamers)

Hate how they do changes for the worse just for the sake of being different. Yes Pulse Mono Evolution Unity looking at you, just for the starters. edit: Oh and gotta mention networkmismanager as well.

How can people stand to use ALSA without PulseAudio in this day and time? It's awful. I had nothing but trouble in my recent KDE tests (low sound quality, high CPU usage, applications bypassing kmix) that were magically solved as soon as I installed Pulse.

Why don't you like NetworkManager? I think it's awesome both in its gnome and kde flavors (the gnome flavor is a bit more mature, so I tend to have both installed).

Default taps Debian

Taps Debian but creates incompatible .deb files.

It really bugs me that there are "-dev" versions of packages. That is a Debian feature, of course, and other distros have the same. While not a violation of the letter of the GPL, it seems to me to be a violation of the spirit.

Here's why it bugs me: I work on an free game derived from Quake2 GPL'd code. Like many open source projects, for Linux, we distribute a tarball with an Autotools build, and have a Subversion repository with read-only public access. I would guess that most of our Linux user base are Ubuntu users and, it is a good (even great) thing that Ubuntu makes Linux more accessible. However, it is a pain that the user cannot build an open source program with the default library install; they have to make a special effort to get build tools and the "-dev" versions of libraries. Like many open source projects, we do not have a lot of resources for pre-release testing; we really depend on our regular user base for this. The "-dev" version thing just makes that a little harder.

Some would, and have, pointed out that it would be a dangerous thing for regular users to be able to build programs. But, isn't that what the GPL is about? I concede that there are environments where that restriction would be needed. However, seems to me the default should be the other way around with "non-dev" packaging being the special case.

No doubt this is not going to change, but, having ranted, I feel better now.

I first started my linux experience with ubuntu 6.06. It was buggy but by and large it worked perfectly fine. I continued to use ubuntu until they decided arbitrarily move the min/max/close buttons to the left by default. A change that is to this day still a huge mystery to me Anyway, here's what I don't like about ubuntu.

Dislike:
    Min/Max/Close buttons on the left by default
    networkmanager
    pulse audio
    their obsession with social networking integration
    bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat
    unity interface

Like:
    the startup jingle, I still miss it

Quote Originally Posted by dfblogic View Post
    It really bugs me that there are "-dev" versions of packages. That is a Debian feature, of course, and other distros have the same. While not a violation of the letter of the GPL, it seems to me to be a violation of the spirit.

Here's why it bugs me: I work on an free game derived from Quake2 GPL'd code. Like many open source projects, for Linux, we distribute a tarball with an Autotools build, and have a Subversion repository with read-only public access. I would guess that most of our Linux user base are Ubuntu users and, it is a good (even great) thing that Ubuntu makes Linux more accessible. However, it is a pain that the user cannot build an open source program with the default library install; they have to make a special effort to get build tools and the "-dev" versions of libraries. Like many open source projects, we do not have a lot of resources for pre-release testing; we really depend on our regular user base for this. The "-dev" version thing just makes that a little harder.

Some would, and have, pointed out that it would be a dangerous thing for regular users to be able to build programs. But, isn't that what the GPL is about? I concede that there are environments where that restriction would be needed. However, seems to me the default should be the other way around with "non-dev" packaging being the special case.

No doubt this is not going to change, but, having ranted, I feel better now.
    Tell the Debian developers this.

I guess some automated install of missing -dev files may fix it.

But it is also a matter of size for a default installation.