Thread: Wine 1.3.25 Presents Rewritten Audio Support

Hybrid View

Default Wine 1.3.25 Presents Rewritten Audio Support

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.25 Presents Rewritten Audio Support

While released on an unfortunate day, Wine 1.3.25 has made it out into the world per the usual bi-weekly development cycle. Prominently featured in Wine 1.3.25 is rewritten audio support based upon the Windows 7 architecture...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY5OA

the old sound drivers for JACK, NAS, and ESD have been removed.
    I wonder why JACK support was removed, I know isn't used to the extend of ALSA but is not deprecated as the other two drivers.

I think it's a great release because the audio redesign and the implementation of the DIB engine are 2 itens of the Wine 1.4 Release Plan. I don't know if they're ready, but they're being worked on for a while and looks like it's becoming usable now...

Holy smokes, mmdevapi actually seems to work correctly now! That was broken for so long I can't remember. Though that may have been fixed in the last release since I skipped 1.3.24.

How was today an unfortunate day for a WINE release?

Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    I think that he is refering to the car-bomb in Oslo and the shooting/massacre of many teens in Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    He said Wine released on an unfortunate day. Unfortunate because of this: http://www.businessinsider.com/shoot...-norway-2011-7

Is this the long-acclaimed OpenAL backend support as well, or does the mmdevapi, er, API, connect to individual backends like ALSA and pulseaudio individually?

This thing has been in the works since about 2007, but it never landed in master until recently because Alexandre Julliard won't accept any commits unless they're perfect and solve all problems simultaneously. He doesn't have any concept in his head about evolutionary improvement. We've been having to maintain an external patch for pulseaudio support for years because Alexandre saw mmdevapi as the only viable solution.

I'll try it out and see if it supports PA. If it doesn't, I'll resume my flaming.