Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: OnLive Is Hiring More Engineers For Linux Client

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,809

    Default OnLive Is Hiring More Engineers For Linux Client

    Phoronix: OnLive Is Hiring More Engineers For Linux Client

    OnLive, the cloud gaming platform where games are rendered and stored on servers, already has Windows and Mac OS X clients, but a Linux client is in the works. Back in March there was a job posting by OnLive where one of the responsibilities dealt with feature design and development for multiple platforms, including Linux. There's also been other signs of OnLive for Linux in the works. The latest sign is a new job posting yesterday for the Linux client...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY4NA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    OnLive is too high latency for FPSes and hyper-RTSes (like Starcraft or HoN). It's only remotely viable (pun intentional) for WoW-like MMOs, and of course turn-based games. People who primarily play those types of games (over a very high-bandwidth landline such as FiOS or fast cable or dedicated 100Mbps) may enjoy the service. For everyone else, it'll be a waste.

    OnLive is not a terrible idea, but for some game types it just won't work (ever) over the public Internet, and certain people who get shafted by ISPs (capped bandwidth, etc) will never be able to make full use of the service even if they want to just play turn-based strategy games in singleplayer with unlimited think time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Yep, I'd rather play WebGL games: cross-platform and doesn't require super fast Internet connection.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    Yep, I'd rather play WebGL games: cross-platform and doesn't require super fast Internet connection.
    Requires a super-fast GPU, though. WebGL is even more inefficient than desktop GL. And it rarely works right unless you're using the Nvidia drivers. No driver I've ever installed (proprietary or open source) for my Radeon has ever provided a working WebGL experience.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Requires a super-fast GPU, though. WebGL is even more inefficient than desktop GL. And it rarely works right unless you're using the Nvidia drivers. No driver I've ever installed (proprietary or open source) for my Radeon has ever provided a working WebGL experience.
    The bottleneck is not in the GPU in this case but rather in JavaScript, after all it's a sandboxed scripting language compared to C/C+ machine code free of the JavaScript security extra-checking.
    And yes, I got Nvidia (GeForce 9600gt) and I got no issues.. (so far).
    Looks like both closed and open source AMD Linux video drivers are getting better, so you might be doing fine soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    OnLive is too high latency for FPSes and hyper-RTSes (like Starcraft or HoN). It's only remotely viable (pun intentional) for WoW-like MMOs, and of course turn-based games. People who primarily play those types of games (over a very high-bandwidth landline such as FiOS or fast cable or dedicated 100Mbps) may enjoy the service. For everyone else, it'll be a waste.
    Depends actually on where you are. Where I live latency is not really noticeable and I can play the FPSes just fine (I don't play over WiFi). However, you have to have a good connection for that (I'd recommend at least 10Mbps).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Requires a super-fast GPU, though. WebGL is even more inefficient than desktop GL. And it rarely works right unless you're using the Nvidia drivers. No driver I've ever installed (proprietary or open source) for my Radeon has ever provided a working WebGL experience.
    Hm... What's not working about this?

    http://ompldr.org/vOWp1bg

    Framerate suffers greatly when running more than one window with webgl at the same time but one alone is very good though it probably all in all is slower than "normal" OpenGL on the desktop.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    141

    Default

    wurm online, minecraft, spiral knights - arent those webgl also?
    they run really good with amd catalyst drivers. havent had issues.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xpander View Post
    wurm online, minecraft, spiral knights - arent those webgl also?
    they run really good with amd catalyst drivers. havent had issues.
    That's Java.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    44

    Default

    This is a terrible idea, and I highly recommend everyone boycott this service.

    When you buy a game (or other piece of software), you should get a copy that you can install and use without further reliance on any 3rd party company. The idea of "buying" a game that only exists remotely on servers you don't control is insane. If the company goes out of business, or stops supporting your product, your purchase is gone.

    Support companies that provide you with the ability to use what you purchased without having to ask for permission or rely on them being around.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •