Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Java SE 7 Finally Sees The Light Of Day

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frantaylor View Post
    The icedtea distribution is not run through Oracle's QA testing, and it has many many bugs that are not in the standard jdk

    Their testing takes weeks, that's why build 147 was up there for so long before they finally released it.

    In my experience many commercial java applications won't run at all with icedtea

    Also in my experience these commercial apps are only tested with the official jdk, so the bugs are not even reported to icedtea.

    icedtea may be feature compatible, but it most certainly has not had even close to the same level of testing.
    What applications are these and what version of IcedTea did you use? Did you file bug reports?

    The official java binaries continually suffer from security vulnerabilities that cannot be patched by its users (unless they are genii and can patch binaries) and they go unpatched for weeks or even months. Talk about the testing that Sun/Oracle does all you want, but no amount of official testing comes close to the amount of testing done by users and if the users don't file bug reports, it is not the developers fault.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    116

    Default Java2D new xrender pipeline

    One of the features of JSE7 is a new xrender pipeline for Java 2D.

    Will there be any benchmarks coming? Has anyone tested the new render pipeline?

  3. #13

    Default

    Has anyone noticed that Oracle apparently owns 4 virtualization implementations? It seems that they only support Java when virtualized on their hypervisors. Anything else is not supported:

    http://www.osnews.com/thread?482657
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ig-417990.html

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Has anyone noticed that Oracle apparently owns 4 virtualization implementations? It seems that they only support Java when virtualized on their hypervisors. Anything else is not supported:

    http://www.osnews.com/thread?482657
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ig-417990.html

    I guess by not supported they mean no commercial support available for those hypervisors. Because I know several people that routinely run Java on VMWare.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Java 7 is too little, too late. If you want a big boost in productivity, use Lisp.
    If you want a boost in productivity and are bound to the Java platform, use scala or possibly clojure.
    /flame

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    Java 7 is too little, too late. If you want a big boost in productivity, use Lisp.
    If you want a boost in productivity and are bound to the Java platform, use scala or possibly clojure.
    /flame
    Care to send me a link to the last website you wrote in Lisp?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Last time I checked, OpenJDK couldn't even run Netbeans fully, which is kinda required to be anywhere near acceptable... I mean if you can't even create a jForm with freaking Netbeans < 7... But it can run jForms...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talvik View Post
    One of the features of JSE7 is a new xrender pipeline for Java 2D.

    Will there be any benchmarks coming? Has anyone tested the new render pipeline?
    I hope there will be benchmarks; it should be quite interesting.

    In my opinion, XRender has a very bad reputation. Its operations are extremely high-latency on the Mesa graphics stack. Try running kwin with XRender backend, compared to OpenGL backend. There's no comparison -- OpenGL is way faster. And a compositing manager isn't much different than what Java2D would do; it's just some fancy animations, transparency, fades, etc. but it's still essentially a glossy 2D pipeline. But at least for r600g, XRender is horrible.

    Why did they even bother doing that work? Maybe XRender works well for the Nvidia binary, or fglrx, or something.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    I hope there will be benchmarks; it should be quite interesting.

    In my opinion, XRender has a very bad reputation. Its operations are extremely high-latency on the Mesa graphics stack. Try running kwin with XRender backend, compared to OpenGL backend. There's no comparison -- OpenGL is way faster. And a compositing manager isn't much different than what Java2D would do; it's just some fancy animations, transparency, fades, etc. but it's still essentially a glossy 2D pipeline. But at least for r600g, XRender is horrible.

    Why did they even bother doing that work? Maybe XRender works well for the Nvidia binary, or fglrx, or something.
    Xrender does work quite well with the NVIDIA blob. If I remember correctly, it works well with fglrx too.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Last time I checked, OpenJDK couldn't even run Netbeans fully, which is kinda required to be anywhere near acceptable... I mean if you can't even create a jForm with freaking Netbeans < 7... But it can run jForms...
    When was the last time you checked? Was it 2 years ago on a distribution that used source code that was more than a year old? Time flies. IcedTea works wonderfully for me. I filed a bug report about the only issue I have encountered.

    Maybe you are thinking of open source flash replacements.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •