Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 112

Thread: Best card for under $100

  1. #91
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loafers View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I ended up choosing the GT-610 mainly for the price.

    Sadly, a lot of these cards — especially the zotac passive versions — are over-priced and increasingly difficult to find. No bang for the buck
    Ya passives tend to be more expensive then others but I haven't found Zotac's regular offering anymore expensive then the other brands. In fact they are usually on the cheaper end. Either way for just media playback purposes the GT-610 aka GT-520 will do fine. Great media playback support in linux with vdpau.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hi everyone, I've decided to try Steam for Linux, I bought some games like Serious Sam BFE and Amnesia. Since I have integrated graphics, I thought I might upgrade and refresh my system a bit. Here's what I have now:

    MB: H61M-S2PV
    CPU: Intel Celeron G530 Dual Core @ 2.4Ghz
    GPU: Intel 2000HD
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz
    21.5" Acer Monitor Full HD

    I'm using Mint 13 KDE 64bit. I'm not familiar with graphics cards, I haven't really needed them up until now, so I don't know what to buy, what's supported properly on Linux, what will be supported and so on, how much of a bottleneck would my CPU be and so on. Graphics quality doesn't have to be the best. Now with Intel 2000HD and added Xorg Edgers ppa, Serious Sam is pretty much playable, Amnesia not so much, objects and walls are flickering when in-game. Look here:
    http://www.centro.hr/kategorije.2581...e-kartice.aspx

    Would any of these cards improve performance. I know that nvidia is best for Linux, but I don't know which to choose, or should I be going for ATI?

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Hi everyone, I've decided to try Steam for Linux, I bought some games like Serious Sam BFE and Amnesia. Since I have integrated graphics, I thought I might upgrade and refresh my system a bit. Here's what I have now:

    MB: H61M-S2PV
    CPU: Intel Celeron G530 Dual Core @ 2.4Ghz
    GPU: Intel 2000HD
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz
    21.5" Acer Monitor Full HD

    I'm using Mint 13 KDE 64bit. I'm not familiar with graphics cards, I haven't really needed them up until now, so I don't know what to buy, what's supported properly on Linux, what will be supported and so on, how much of a bottleneck would my CPU be and so on. Graphics quality doesn't have to be the best. Now with Intel 2000HD and added Xorg Edgers ppa, Serious Sam is pretty much playable, Amnesia not so much, objects and walls are flickering when in-game. Look here:
    http://www.centro.hr/kategorije.2581...e-kartice.aspx

    Would any of these cards improve performance. I know that nvidia is best for Linux, but I don't know which to choose, or should I be going for ATI?
    Are you planning on using the proprietary or open source driver?

  4. #94
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I forgot to mention that, well I don't have anything against proprietary drivers, count them in....

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Would any of these cards improve performance. I know that nvidia is best for Linux, but I don't know which to choose, or should I be going for ATI?
    I would wait for passively cooled Geforce GT730
    http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-700/geforce-gt-730

  6. #96
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I don't know, like I said, it doesn't have to be bad-ass, I know that it can't be since we're talking about cards which are under 100$. I just need something that would let me play current games without flickering, and if it's at all possible to have graphics quality settings to medium. I'm not very demanding when it comes to these things. The cheaper, the better.....

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140

    Default There are many answers to that question

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    I don't know, like I said, it doesn't have to be bad-ass, I know that it can't be since we're talking about cards which are under 100$. I just need something that would let me play current games without flickering, and if it's at all possible to have graphics quality settings to medium. I'm not very demanding when it comes to these things. The cheaper, the better.....
    Maybe look at a GT630 at around $75. It is a rebadged GT440. Much better than HD2000, but still mid-range. Will work with Nvidia Linux drivers. You should be able to get a GT640 for under a hundred.

    The other option, and probably better, is to get a second hand 9800.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    Maybe look at a GT630 at around $75. It is a rebadged GT440. Much better than HD2000, but still mid-range. Will work with Nvidia Linux drivers. You should be able to get a GT640 for under a hundred.

    The other option, and probably better, is to get a second hand 9800.
    GT640 has bad performance per price because of DDR3 memory. It is better to buy GTX650 which has DDR5 memory.
    9800 has bad performance per watt.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    GT640 has bad performance per price because of DDR3 memory. It is better to buy GTX650 which has DDR5 memory.
    9800 has bad performance per watt.
    A GT630 is still miles better than HD2000, but of course any of the GTX series is going to be way better than a GT. But then the price climbs rapidly. This one is close to "under $100".

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130827

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE4NDE

    It all comes down to how much money you want to spend and how keen you are.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    Maybe look at a GT630 at around $75. It is a rebadged GT440. Much better than HD2000, but still mid-range. Will work with Nvidia Linux drivers. You should be able to get a GT640 for under a hundred.

    The other option, and probably better, is to get a second hand 9800.
    That's the card that I had my eye on, look at this:
    http://www.centro.hr/detalji_proizvo...orchlight.aspx

    I read somewhere that there's some kind of problems with Intel integrated and Nvidia discrete cards, that Nvidia can't take full control over graphics processing, that something called Bumblebee needs to be installed. Is that only on open source drivers, or are proprietary affected as well?

    Is 1GB of VRAM enough? There's another version of this card with 2GB of memory, but memory clock is at 1Ghz, not on 1.6Ghz like this one above, should I take the faster one with less RAM, or slower one with more RAM?

    And what's with KMS Console, I read that KMS has something to do with resolution setting. Is it important?

    I realize that there's cards with faster memory speeds, but their more expansive and I really don't have the need for something like that. I just installed Team Fortress 2, and the game works rather well on full HD with medium quality settings, it just loads for an eternity.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •