Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Many Ubuntu Users Still Hate The Unity Desktop

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oldenburg, Germany
    Posts
    20

    Default

    title +1
    gnome-shell ftw

    i won't support the idiots they wasted money on developing unity. if they putted all the "power" into gnome-shell, everybody were satisfied.
    Last edited by raulromania; 08-03-2011 at 07:19 PM.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m4n1sh View Post
    it does a LOT of marketing, but does very LITTLE to progress
    Knee jerk reactions. All my hardware has worked out till now. Except for one USB connection to router which does not have any open source driver AFAIK
    Your hardware, you say? Point me to single driver which ubuntu wrote or contributed? Linux kernel worked for you, my friend. Made mostly by RH, Novell, Debian, Gentoo and independent people.

    Quote Originally Posted by m4n1sh View Post
    it has marketing cult and tries to steal the focus from linux kernel, gnu, xorg on itself, claiming itself center of collaboration
    So they want the non-technical end user to come and learn what is kernel, gnu, xorg internals and appreciate it? Non-techies can't even make out that DE is a component of OS. What should Ubuntu do? In the About page write "We bring you the best OS which contains The Linux Kernel, GNU, XORG blah blah". By this time most of the people would have stopped reading the About page
    This is called marketing, and Ubuntu is all about marketing. That warm feeling of everyone helping(stolen from GNU) mixed with memorable African thematic(color association subconsciousness programming), when in reality they just package like Debian, but with more unstable software - for reason. Mark already admitted it, he holds Opensource model for nothing and loves to build on Opencore. Loves for others to bugtest the software so he can run servers and make money. And in case what to put on server Debian or Ubuntu - here comes Ubuntu popularity.
    Analysing typical idiot behaviour of not paying attention to details, exploiting it, growing people into idiots(brainscripting etc). Next comes monopolisation and overtake. Good thing is Canonical has no reason to take over say GNU, because GNU is not commercial or making own distribution. Otherwise GNU would already be taken over by Canonical.
    Why would Ubuntu then prohibit using its name and logo in its forks and spinoffs? To prevent damage to its reputation. This is PURE marketing.

    Quote Originally Posted by m4n1sh View Post
    it has completely useless, unflexible in terms of modification, package system
    How? Completely useless? Inflexible? Looks like a knee jerk reaction
    Yes, apt-deb is completely useless packaging mechanism in terms of inter-operability, in terms of using part of that and part of this to create this variation, which is clearly traceable.
    The only mechanism useful is pinning and careful sorting of packages.
    For example I want to replace Ubuntu themes with Ocean-colored ones.
    Then I have to track all and every change done to ubuntu-theming and make sure my version persists to *substitute* it correctly. I have to rebuild my version and make sure it does not break anything.
    This is extreme hard work. This is pretty normal for any binary-based package manager. This works as long as amount of deviations stays within sane number and I play nice with upstream.
    This is reason for extreme long path and near zero communication between developers and users. Why the hell is Ubuntu placing itself between them?!
    If you have Debian, you have huge project that produces the binaries directly and has strict policies. This works.
    But dont you ever try to report about an error of the modification, of the modification, of the modification. This is insane.
    Because there is source. And there are recipes to build the source into specific binary form. This should be end-form.
    If you want to modify the package - collaborate on source level. Together instead of standing on fathers head. But then, suddenly, Ubuntu "sales" might go down. Because people will notice which contribution and development each really do.

    Quote Originally Posted by m4n1sh View Post
    it does not have any "linux" in its name
    Ubuntu is a brand. Linux is a trademark of Linux Torvalds for the kernel. I never seen Mercedes, Wal-Mart writing what they are with their name. I never heard "Mercedes Car", "Wal-Mart superstore chain". How much difference does it make.
    People who care about Ubuntu being a linux distribution already know. Those who don't care arn't going to care even if you force it down their throat
    See? You admitted it. Ubuntu is marketing. So you were the one knee jerking. Lets go in detail.
    Linux is a TM, because Linus did not want someone take it over(in fact that attempt WAS made) and then start patent trolling. So it is TM for stability, not for reputation.
    I have seen Mercedes Benz(unlike you) using Mercedes Benz motors and Mercedes Benz parts. Ubuntu has kernel "ubuntu" - right? Any "ubuntu" parts that are withing "ubuntu"? Ah, yes, Unity. Good point to start calling it Ubuntu, instead of Ubuntu Linux.
    Wal-Mart is US-shoping chain selling chinese made stuff at american prices. It is very strong commercial marketing, repackaging and selling company. Just like Ubuntu?
    "mercedes car" -> "ubuntu linux operating system", I dont think your variant is very close to my original suggestion.
    Once again - "ubuntu" is targeted at those "uneducated" people. Those people DO NOT KNOW WHAT LINUX, GNU, FOSS ETC IS. The ones *forcing down the throat* are Canonical with its Ubuntu marketing. Maybe you are so used to their marketing, you stopped recognising the right and left? Maybe you are similar addict as windows user - the one searching for start button and claiming the OS should have .exe files?

    Quote Originally Posted by m4n1sh View Post
    the developers-users collaboration model is absent, instead users are animals to bugtrack for free. Good Lord, thanks for linux mint.
    Care to elaborate? I am one who triages bugs when I get time. I do some packaging too and get them sponsored. I build packages in PPA and give it to people for testing. I am not on Canonical payroll nor even a MOTU. LOL! Linux Mint was founded using Ubuntu as the base before coming up with Debian edition. Haters gonna hate
    Im very happy you triage bugs when you get time. No, really. This is what normal people should do. They will just look at this, look, then they will understand and sh!t on Ubuntu, Linux and rest of FOSS. They will understand that either they pay regularly or do bugtester and developer works. FINE JOB SIR! Im very happy too, that you triage bugs that in 90% cases will never be corrected, the rest 9% will die somewhere inside Ubuntu and less that 0,0001% will be upstreamed. You know, other distributions usually do it vice-versa.
    Linux Mint was founded to make Linux user friendly. They stepped in, took Debian Unstable packages and started to get donations to make Linux useful for a noob. Programmers program, hobbists do it as hobby and other people either pay for development or use what is already made - without licenses, unneccessary payments - in FOSS form. This is called Free Libre Open Source.

    Quote Originally Posted by m4n1sh View Post
    [it spoils the culture of foss and linux in particular with african theming
    What is wrong with African theming? Can I scream RACIST?
    You see what your mind wants you to see.
    You scream, what you are.
    I donīt copy how racism and african theming belong together.
    You are aware there is african racism, jewish racism, islam racism? I donīt even want to touch that pile oī sht. Or should I say variations of sht?
    The point of my post is dead simple - Ubuntu, due to its excessive marketing associates FOSS and its brightest projects with one particular set of stereotypes.
    When you go out and ask what is Linux, uneducated people will start sayin - its Ubuntu.
    In fact nothing is wrong with African theming. Nothing is really wrong with "start button" or microsoft swastika either.
    Too bad, good sane buddhists forgot to *TM* the swastika, as symbol of the Sun, the same way Linus did with Linux, so no one could steal it and associate it with something very dirty,wrong and completely opposite.
    Be it your *favourite* topic or microsoft symbol.

    You can scream - Gentoo Linux user.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 08-03-2011 at 07:33 PM.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NomadDemon View Post
    cant use mandriva packages in fedora, or suse, and all this combination fails, debian and ubuntu are 99% compatible.
    I *lol* at this.
    Just because RPMs had dependency tracking problem in the starts, doesnīt mean it ainīt fixed.
    RPMs and DEBs are extremely similar.
    They can not fix their content to magically link itself to everything perfectly - theyīre just packages.
    Your ubuntu packages will break on debian in 99,99% cases, or more exact formulated your ubuntu packages *contents*.

    Quote Originally Posted by NomadDemon View Post
    btw.. iam voting for unification for packages. "alien" suck.. cant convert 80% of packages i need
    so.. no rpm and no deb, just one unified.
    .ebuild and EAPI are here for ages. Universal format.
    But in the case you are asking for binary universal format, you got it with windows in form of a huge binary-library-errata mess.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    gentoo kind of sucks and is kind of slowly dieing
    my gentoo calculate linux box claims its up-to-date and fully functional. Some one of you two must be mistaken.

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    See? You admitted it. Ubuntu is marketing.
    So what?

    I have seen Mercedes Benz(unlike you) using Mercedes Benz motors and Mercedes Benz parts. Ubuntu has kernel "ubuntu" - right? Any "ubuntu" parts that are withing "ubuntu"? Ah, yes, Unity. Good point to start calling it Ubuntu, instead of Ubuntu Linux.
    Linux is just a kernel, a very boring uninteresting part for non geeks. You can compare it with an engine control unit in a car, it's important for the car to operate but not very interesting to the average consumer. People buy a Mercedes because of its looks, reputation or as a status symbol, not because of the engine control unit.

    In summary:

    - A Mercedes is a collection of parts manufactured and assembled to a certain specification.
    - Ubuntu is a collection of software packages assembled to a certain specification.

    The Linux kernel is just one of those software packages. An important one, but like I said not of any interest to the end user.

    The point of my post is dead simple - Ubuntu, due to its excessive marketing associates FOSS and its brightest projects with one particular set of stereotypes.
    When you go out and ask what is Linux, uneducated people will start sayin - its Ubuntu.
    In fact nothing is wrong with African theming. Nothing is really wrong with "start button" or microsoft swastika either.
    Too bad, good sane buddhists forgot to *TM* the swastika, as symbol of the Sun, the same way Linus did with Linux, so no one could steal it and associate it with something very dirty,wrong and completely opposite.
    LOL, the "sane Buddhist" is just as well a stereotype, a religious stereotype disseminated by Hollywood. Here's your "sane buddhists".



    Guess who those white men among those "sane buddhists" are... They are German Nazi's, something Hollywood doesn't want to tell you.

    As for Linus, he's not an ideologue, he's just a pompous man with a big ego who named a kernel after himself and likes to stay in control of it for too long, just like a petty dictator.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    So what?
    So I was not talking to you, unless you forgot.
    And your "so what" answer was pure senseless off topic trolling.
    So stop wasting my time.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Linux is just a kernel, a very boring uninteresting part for non geeks. You can compare it with an engine control unit in a car, it's important for the car to operate but not very interesting to the average consumer. People buy a Mercedes because of its looks, reputation or as a status symbol, not because of the engine control unit.

    In summary:

    - A Mercedes is a collection of parts manufactured and assembled to a certain specification.
    - Ubuntu is a collection of software packages assembled to a certain specification.

    The Linux kernel is just one of those software packages. An important one, but like I said not of any interest to the end user.
    Kernel, together with userspace tools, imposes extreme high influence on system design. You complete post above is masterpiece of illogical rubbish. Look at Mercedes A-Class aka "junge Sterne" and just refrain from commenting, ok?
    When microsoft writes windows uses NT kernel, it does not try to cover it nor posting explanations why it does so.
    When any operating system carries name other that its kernel, it does not try to cover it.
    Yet ubuntu covers it due to huge marketing size and even tries to associate whole linux and foss with itself at same time doing nothing, but marketing.


    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    LOL, the "sane Buddhist" is just as well a stereotype, a religious stereotype disseminated by Hollywood. Here's your "sane buddhists".



    Guess who those white men among those "sane buddhists" are... They are German Nazi's, something Hollywood doesn't want to tell you.

    As for Linus, he's not an ideologue, he's just a pompous man with a big ego who named a kernel after himself and likes to stay in control of it for too long, just like a petty dictator.
    And this is post, where you outmastered in stupidity even Benny Hill. At least the later did that in front of camera and not in real life.
    Just because Hitler and Co marched in Tibet for whatever stupidity they were building together (Ahnenerbe and similar BS) and were welcomed by Tibetans, because they(Tibetans) are one of the most enlightened, opened and forgiving people on this dirty planet, with most clean and unoffensive religion(science) based solely on observation, who didnīt know whom they actually met - you conclude nazi BS and tibet are affiliated?
    Man, go educate yourself, please, spend at least 5 years understanding Taoism and Buddhism, before you start looking as black hole of stupidity and trolling.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I like Unity, but it was buggy for me that I gave up on it and switched back to Gnome 2.32. My display would just hang - I could click on the menu bar on the left side of the screen, but everything to the right of it would not respond to mouse clicks. It happened so often I stopped using it. This was Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, AMD Radeon HD 5770 card, AMD 11.4, 11.5, or 11.6 drivers for the card. Under Gnome 2.32 and XFCE I did not have any problems with losing response to mouse clicks.

    I understand Ubuntu is all volunteer and I don't hate Ubuntu, Ubuntu developers, Mark Shuttleworth, or anyone else for Unity. I just can't use it myself until this is resolved, and I don't have the expertise or time to triage the problem myself. XFCE and GNOME 2.32 work right out of the box, so I'm sticking with them until further notice.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raulromania View Post
    title +1
    gnome-shell ftw

    i won't support the idiots they wasted money on developing unity. if they putted all the "power" into gnome-shell, everybody were satisfied.
    It's opposite and those 'idiots' made parts of Gnome still usable thanks to Unity.

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NomadDemon View Post
    PA is OK
    DEB owns RPM packages, RPM are crap. every distro have different rpm packages...
    unity hmm.. not finished, cant grade it

    i will never use RPM distro.. sorry
    It's not RPM's fault distros use different RPM packages. I've always prefered DEBs over RPMs (my first distro was Knoppix which is based on Debian), but some RPM distros have a big advantage - delta RPMs which makes your updates much smaller. When Ubuntu will get something similar and when they'll switch to systemd it will be perfect.
    Last edited by kraftman; 08-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •