Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doom 3 Source-Code To Be Released This Year

Default Doom 3 Source-Code To Be Released This Year

Phoronix: Doom 3 Source-Code To Be Released This Year

Just as suspected: the source-code to id Software's Doom 3 game will be publicly released this year!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTc1MQ

Cool news. I hope it helps that Hexen remake project, because I'd really like to see that shine. I <3 Hexen. First game I ever modded, back when I was a wee lad.

The cynical bastard in me has this to say, however: Soon, FOSS games will transform from horrifically out-dated technology to just extremely out-dated technology.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Cool news. I hope it helps that Hexen remake project, because I'd really like to see that shine. I <3 Hexen. First game I ever modded, back when I was a wee lad.

The cynical bastard in me has this to say, however: Soon, FOSS games will transform from horrifically out-dated technology to just extremely out-dated technology.
    So does this mean Michael will start testing it in his benchmarks? It would be nice to have something as an alternative to Nexuiz.

Well, we have Xonotic now.....

Default The Dark Mod

I can't speak for the Hexen EOC team, but we at The Dark Mod are very excited about this news.

It will help overcome things like CPU driven animation bottlenecks, problems with collision reliability and hard-coded limits.

If you are a fan of the Thief games you should check-out the mod:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

www.thedarkmod.com

(It might also be a good Benchmark as some missions are extremely large and performance intensive. For example the "No Honor Among Thieves" campaign.)

Default The Dark Mod

I can't speak for the Hexen EOC team, but we at The Dark Mod are very excited about this news.

It will help overcome things like CPU driven animation bottlenecks, problems with collision reliability and hard-coded limits.

www moddb<dot>com/mods/the-dark-mod

www thedarkmod<dot>com

(It might also be a good Benchmark as some missions are extremely large and performance intensive. For example the "No Honor Among Thieves" campaign.)

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

www.thedarkmod.com

Do you plan to port your mod to Linux?

Does this mean Doom 3 will be free to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankin View Post
    Does this mean Doom 3 will be free to play?
    It's source code, not game data. Same deal as with everything else id has released.

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    It's source code, not game data. Same deal as with everything else id has released.
    Isn't there some freely available data? I seem to remember there was a demo, those files should work..?!