Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: id Software's Rage May Not Be Coming To Linux Soon

Hybrid View

Default id Software's Rage May Not Be Coming To Linux Soon

Phoronix: id Software's Rage May Not Be Coming To Linux Soon

The good news out of John Carmack's QuakeCon 2011 keynote is that the Doom 3 source-code will be released this year following the release of id Software's Rage game based upon their shiny new id Tech 5 engine. The bad news? The Linux client for the Rage game has an uncertain future...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTc1Mw

so after the company behind UnrealTournament, now id software goes away from linux aswell. I wonder why they just don't say it. They are doing it like UT did it: Claiming they are working on it for a long time and then, when everybody knows it's never coming they admit it.

Yeah. The Linux gaming scene is dying a horrible death. The economics are simple: not enough people use Linux exclusively for them to care. The few people who do run Linux and like to play games, are either willing to tinker with Wine, or dual boot Windows. We aren't helping our cause.

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Yeah. The Linux gaming scene is dying a horrible death. The economics are simple: not enough people use Linux exclusively for them to care. The few people who do run Linux and like to play games, are either willing to tinker with Wine, or dual boot Windows. We aren't helping our cause.
    Personally I got sick and tired of caring some time in 2008. Its just not worth all the grief. I would rather just accept that Linux will never be a true desktop OS and just run it on my servers, which it performs much better as.

Why the sad faces, troopers? Open Source bazaars are a better development methodology than the evil Proprietary Software cathedrals, right? Surely FOSS can build it's own games that rival $40,000,000 US titles! All you need is dedication, willpower, and love!

And $40,000,000.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Why the sad faces, troopers? Open Source bazaars are a better development methodology than the evil Proprietary Software cathedrals, right? Surely FOSS can build it's own games that rival $40,000,000 US titles! All you need is dedication, willpower, and love!

And $40,000,000.
    Give FOSS a lot more time and they won't need the $40,000,000. In 2008, the Linux kernel alone was worth 1.4 billion.
    I like driving games and Racer, Rigs of Rods, VDrift, SuperTuxKart 0.7, TORCS, Mania Drive are all FOSS. I'm sure once Doom 3 source code is released someone will get the vehicles working as well as they do in ET:QW and make another racing/combat game.

Quote Originally Posted by Detructor View Post
    so after the company behind UnrealTournament, now id software goes away from linux aswell. I wonder why they just don't say it. They are doing it like UT did it: Claiming they are working on it for a long time and then, when everybody knows it's never coming they admit it.
    If nothing else we will get it when Id Tech 5 is made opensource, Also given how crossplatform they're making it, I.E.: Making it work not only on windows, but on the consoles, and even phones. I find it unlikely that they wont come out with the associated mac and Linux ports, I mean hell they're already making it for Android and iOS...

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    If nothing else we will get it when Id Tech 5 is made opensource, Also given how crossplatform they're making it, I.E.: Making it work not only on windows, but on the consoles, and even phones. I find it unlikely that they wont come out with the associated mac and Linux ports, I mean hell they're already making it for Android and iOS...
    If the UT3 debacle taught me anything it's to not purchase a game that isn't released for my platform yet. When and if id Software produces a linux binary build I'll buy the game then. Until that time - Minecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    If the UT3 debacle taught me anything it's to not purchase a game that isn't released for my platform yet. When and if id Software produces a linux binary build I'll buy the game then. Until that time - Minecraft.
    Yes thats good thing to do. But I think of 90% that it will come. Id soft is the linux-friendliest top-games company with longest history with support for linux.

But Its not as easy as it was on earlier games. Id soft used long times opengl for their games so its no big thing to make a port, now they use primary the dx engine so they have to port it for mac and linux. If Mac would support Directx I think they would also stop porting games for linux at all. And maybe because of the ps3?

So yes the pc is kind of dieing as gaming-plattform, ok most games come for it, but often with poorly ported inputs and then the graphics also most of the time badly scale up from what the old old consoles can do.

We have dx9 gen consoles vs dx11 gen computers. So if pc is basicly a niche market, how small is then the niche Linux on it.

So I can understand why they not invest much resources in hectic release time to make a concurrent release on all pc plattforms.

This is sad news, but I'll definitely get a copy once the Linux version is out