Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: The first German-Turkish "Döner" Food Restaurant in the US:

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Also you didnt give the amount of baking powder needed
    Baking powder? In a flatbread dough?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Usually when someone gives a recipe goes for either grams or baker percentages. And they usually make a note on yeast amount depending on they type.
    I just do not treat you like an idiot! because in this way they companies only go richer because yeast is a organism means you can put in only a tiny dose and the time will do the rest.

    also you can not put in Yeast and the yeast will grow up also because of spontaneous fermentation because the most flour contain natural yeast.

    also i write to you you buy yeast as a product and only your product maker know how much do you need of this product thats why you can not ask me that you have to read your product paper!

    now you know "usually recipes" only treat the reader like an idiot.





    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Also you didnt give the amount of baking powder needed

    same storry you buy baking soda as a product professional versions are much stronger you need less of it and civilian versions are fake!
    you have to read your product information.
    traditional in Germany 1 tiny 1-2g pack-paper of yeast or bakery soda is for 500g flour

    can you now please read your product informations ?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glasen View Post
    Baking powder? In a flatbread dough?
    this is just cheating because professionals ad gluten, baking soda,vitamin c to get a greater impact and more CO2 and the flour hold more co2--

    and so one.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    I disagree

    Yes different products will have a different effect but you have to have a starting point. And when you read a recipe somewhere it is supposed to be tested and to work. The average home cook will not do recipe development.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    I disagree
    Yes different products will have a different effect but you have to have a starting point.
    WRONG! your starting point is the product information!

    real MANN do not need a product at all they grow a Sourdough or spontaneous yeast fermentation without any!

    and you are "I disagree " because you are a geek and in computers geek world all is write and you can learn all from your technical information book.

    LOL... for beginners you buy a product like yeast or bakery soda and there will be a product information on the product and only the company knows what they put into there product.

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    And when you read a recipe somewhere it is supposed to be tested and to work. The average home cook will not do recipe development.
    what is your point here? i think you just do not understand the fundamental basics

    a pro start a 0,5kg with 1 paper 1g yeast but a pro also start a 1kg with the same yeast and a pro start 2kg with the same 1g yeast and a pro start 25kg with the same 1g yeast.

    because why? because the pro know it dosn't matter how much yeast you ad its only matters how much time you let it grow.

    any my recipe is cheated ! means you don't have to wait for the yeast you will get a good result without waiting for the yeast you only ad yeast as a "spice" and the cheat is the bakery soda and also the bakery soda is a product with product information!

    after reading the product information no more questions there because the product information explain it how it works!

    for the soda its also easy if you double the flour you double the soda if you half the flour you half the soda.

    but how much ITS written in the product information!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    My point is that the amateur cook doen't have to understand the basics. He needs something that works and is foolproof. He must have instructions that specify quantities times and techniques.

    Hell, even some "professionals" don't understand the science/chemistry behind cooking and thats the reason that the majority of food served is shit.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Well, this makes me proud to be from Berlin.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    this is just cheating because professionals ad gluten, baking soda,vitamin c to get a greater impact and more CO2 and the flour hold more co2--

    and so one.
    Flatbread doesn't need any of that. Its only ingredients are flour, salt and water.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    for the meat get cow meat slim steaks and 50% minced meat then put the minced meat into a bowl and put Salt , eggs, minced onions, oil, milk and yogurt and spices like paprika and pepper and chili into it! now knead it!!! then you put the slim steaks and the minced meat with spices alternately in rotatory on a spit! in a circle way to get the circle you can use plastic foil and now you put it into an freezer you need to freese it completely because you need the stability!
    Interesting - I've seen "traditional Turkish recipes" calling for slices of marinated meat stacked on a skewer and recipes calling for minced meat but never one that uses both. Is this something you get in Germany ?

    You didn't mention cooking times for the meat - do you cook it through before slicing or is there some kind of "just in time cook" going on where the outside is cooked, the inside might not be, and hopefully the rate of cutting & serving does not get ahead of the rate of cooking ? Do you cook from frozen or thaw before cooking, or does it just spend enough time in the freezer to chill but not freeze ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    now you need to make the bread you need flour, yeast,bakery soda,salt and very important turkey caraway seed

    put the flour and the salt and the yeast into a bowl put water into it for 500g flour you need 350g water and 0,5g salt and knead it!!! then wait 2 hour then put the bakery soda and knead it again! now make a flat bubble of a handfull dough but some turkey caraway seed on the top and now put the bubble into an professional wood heater 500C heater 5-8 minutes or an electric version 450C 10 minutes or an non professional noob oven 250C for 20 minutes.
    Maybe a typo, but you mention baking soda in the list of ingredients but not in the instructions. Any chance your 0,5g of salt (0.1%)should be 5g (1%) ?

    My usual recipe is along the lines of :

    2 cups / 305g flour
    7/8 cup / 190g water (63%)
    3/4 tsp / 4g kosher salt (1.3%)
    3/4 tsp / 3g Fleischmann's Quick-Rise instant yeast (1%)

    As Q says, the amount of yeast is a function of both the type of yeast you are using and the amount of time you plan to let it work before baking. I use roughly the amount above if I'm planning to bake the dough within a few hours of mixing, but go down to maybe 1/4 tsp if I'm going to leave the dough in the fridge for a few days and pull it out when needed (eg when people drop by and "feel like pizza" not realizing that I live about 30km from the nearest pizza place).

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    now you have a flat peace of döner breat! now you need to fire up your döner meat the best taste you get with wood fire and you can cut of the döner meat with a knife but only the edge so you get many pices of crispy fried strips so you can put it into your breat
    Presumably the doner meat is cooked at this point (either cooked through or at least cooked on the outside) and you are just shaving off the cooked bits from the outside ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    now you need salad on it and mice and tomatoes and onions and a yogurt source and chilly on it ! now you have a professional German-Turkey Döner!
    Our local restaurants also have rodent problems but I normally leave the mice out when cooking at home. Do you think that affects the taste very much ?

    Inspired by this thread I made a sort of "Canadian breakfast doner-kebab" - fresh baked pitas using the recipe above divided into 8, some rolled flat & others "pulled" flat like a pizza crust. I wasn't really paying enough attention to know which ones rose better, but the pita shaped like circles definitely rose better than the ones shaped like, say, Madagascar. Oven at 500F / 260C ("non-professional noob" ) on a pre-heated baking sheet, maybe 4 min for the first side and 2-3 min more after flipping them over. There does seem to be an optimum size - the smaller ones become almost spherical - I would probably divide into 6 next time rather than 8.

    Filling was thin slices of leftover meatloaf cooked up with some onions, hot peppers and chopped up leftover potatoes, then scrambled with a couple eggs and stuffed into half-pitas along with some more (raw) onions. In the absence of authentic Turkish sauces I found that a combination of sriracha and commercial coleslaw dressing (hey, I have to keep it in the house, some people like it) was surprisingly good.

    A good wheat beer would have been better than coffee, of course, but coffee was what I had...
    Last edited by bridgman; 08-27-2011 at 12:35 PM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glasen View Post
    Flatbread doesn't need any of that. Its only ingredients are flour, salt and water.
    I bet € 100 on the natural yeast in the flatbread!

    your bullshit about flour,salt and water is just a lie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •