Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
Interesting - I've seen "traditional Turkish recipes" calling for slices of marinated meat stacked on a skewer and recipes calling for minced meat but never one that uses both. Is this something you get in Germany ?
we do have a lot of döner buden in germany and all use both because its against the law only use minced and without minced its to expensive.
because this all use minced and full meat. they also use the refrigerator to stabilize it its freezed in the mid and they earn the finish stuff out of the circle.

i found the miracle of döner on wikipedia ! marinated meat stacked+ minced
stacked on a skewer and only the freeze stabilize it!
without the freeze it just runs of the skewer.

You didn't mention cooking times for the meat
LOL thats because döner do not have cooking time if you heat it up faster you can earn faster you can earn all meat thats "brown" and finish on the outside !
the trick is in the mid its frozen and you only cut of tiny stripes from the brown finished outside.

really there is no "cooking time" you earn it half frozen

- do you cook it through before slicing
NO! biggest fail ever to cook it through... LOL--- you earn it half frozen because you allways earn from the finish outside the brown stuff and after that you heat it up for more brown stuff anf earn more brown stuff.

do have stripes of a lot of brown stuff.

or is there some kind of "just in time cook" going on where the outside is cooked, the inside might not be, and hopefully the rate of cutting & serving does not get ahead of the rate of cooking ?
yes döner is fast food its just in time cook! you only get the outside for the döner and the inside is for later döners.

you can make döner like a maschin gun because you never run out of brown meat big systems are faster than you can built the döner for customers.

Do you cook from frozen or thaw before cooking, or does it just spend enough time in the freezer to chill but not freeze ?
no! it musst be totally frezed -25C! because its the only factor to bring stability.

it goes dirctly from frozen to brown meat...

Maybe a typo, but you mention baking soda in the list of ingredients but not in the instructions.
no its not a typo... because there are many differnt baking soda products! and you have to read the product information first!

normaly its 1-2g per 0,5kg flour

Any chance your 0,5g of salt (0.1%)should be 5g (1%) ?
ubs.. you should go with 0,5% up to 3% sure.

i just fail here LOL

My usual recipe is along the lines of :

2 cups / 305g flour
7/8 cup / 190g water (63%)
3/4 tsp / 4g kosher salt (1.3%)
3/4 tsp / 3g Fleischmann's Quick-Rise instant yeast (1%)
really what does kosher salt mean? is there a different from salt and kosher salt?
i think kosher salt is just bullshit... because all salt is kosher.

and you just waste your money from the 3g /1% instand yeast.
you can use 0,5g or 1g for the same result you only have to wait double time.

As Q says, the amount of yeast is a function of both the type of yeast you are using and the amount of time you plan to let it work before baking.
thank you very much for this!!

I use roughly the amount above if I'm planning to bake the dough within a few hours of mixing, but go down to maybe 1/4 tsp if I'm going to leave the dough in the fridge for a few days and pull it out when needed (eg when people drop by and "feel like pizza" not realizing that I live about 30km from the nearest pizza place).
LOL right!... after reading this this is obsolede: "and you just waste your money from the 3g /1% instand yeast.
you can use 0,5g or 1g for the same result you only have to wait double time. "

Presumably the doner meat is cooked at this point (either cooked through or at least cooked on the outside) and you are just shaving off the cooked bits from the outside ?
yes! in the mid its frozen and you shaving of the cooked bits fro the outside! thats the magic trick of döner!

Our local restaurants also have rodent problems but I normally leave the mice out when cooking at home. Do you think that affects the taste very much ?

??? you just can not make a döner without freezing the meat!
because you need the stability to cut of the stripes.

Inspired by this thread I made a sort of "Canadian breakfast doner-kebab"
nice please shot a picture!

- fresh baked pitas using the recipe above divided into 8, some rolled flat & others "pulled" flat like a pizza crust. I wasn't really paying enough attention to know which ones rose better, but the pita shaped like circles definitely rose better than the ones shaped like, say, Madagascar. Oven at 500F / 260C ("non-professional noob" ) on a pre-heated baking sheet, maybe 4 min for the first side and 2-3 min more after flipping them over. There does seem to be an optimum size - the smaller ones become almost spherical - I would probably divide into 6 next time rather than 8.
Filling was thin slices of leftover meatloaf cooked up with some onions, hot peppers and chopped up leftover potatoes, then scrambled with a couple eggs and stuffed into half-pitas along with some more (raw) onions. In the absence of authentic Turkish sauces I found that a combination of sriracha and commercial coleslaw dressing (hey, I have to keep it in the house, some people like it) was surprisingly good.
A good wheat beer would have been better than coffee, of course, but coffee was what I had...
yes nice !... and hey coffe is right because the german tuerkey döner buden do allways have coffe and tee.