Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The first German-Turkish "Döner" Food Restaurant in the US:

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    you fail here because the tropic is the German version Döner... the restaurant is called the Berliner Döner Kebab
    we already point out that the German version is cow meat and minced+full meat and the original turkey Kebab is lamp without minced
    i already point this out!
    also the original one is not FAST-FOOD the German version is FAST-FOOD...
    also the original turkey version is flat bread and the german version is a blow-up version.

the german version is called "Döner Kebab" its made with Pide and the turkey version is called döner kebap mostly Yufka Dürüm Döner kebap

thats different ;-)

if you buy a Döner Kebab in germany you get a Blow-up Pide with cow minced meat+full meat

if you buy a dürüm döner kebap you get a Yufka with lamp meat....
    Actually where I live it's common to have lamb meat in the Döner and it rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    since its inception in the ottoman empire there have probably been infinite variations either for cultural, religious, or personal (to the cook) reasons.

there is no single recipe in pretty much any food

I just discovered this thread and wanted to say something:

Looking at those pictures how döner meat is being made I can't help but being shocked by them.

I mean, here I am, from northern Bavaria, and never once in my life have I seen a Döner with any minced meat at all. The only times when I have seen it used a tall was in television broadcasts, and the only time I have actually been subjected to it was in Ireland (!), there confirming all predjudices against the use of of minced meat in Döner.

Talking with people I know who have traveled the country more than me confirmed my suspicion that the quality of Döner severly drops the further north you go. Sure, they also become cheaper, but I am really glad that I live in an area where competition has not yet affected quality.

I mean, we have Döner booths with often less than 100 meters distance between them, and not a single one would dare to use minced meat!

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    really? here at stuttgart you can't buy a lamp version and we do have a lot of turkey immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Dard View Post
    I just discovered this thread and wanted to say something:

Looking at those pictures how döner meat is being made I can't help but being shocked by them.

I mean, here I am, from northern Bavaria, and never once in my life have I seen a Döner with any minced meat at all. The only times when I have seen it used a tall was in television broadcasts, and the only time I have actually been subjected to it was in Ireland (!), there confirming all predjudices against the use of of minced meat in Döner.

Talking with people I know who have traveled the country more than me confirmed my suspicion that the quality of Döner severly drops the further north you go. Sure, they also become cheaper, but I am really glad that I live in an area where competition has not yet affected quality.

I mean, we have Döner booths with often less than 100 meters distance between them, and not a single one would dare to use minced meat!
    OMG call 911!

OK, pics. This little abomination used a small, oddly shaped pita cut in half and filled with onions, peppers, home-made sauerkraut and thinly sliced "St. Louis pork steak" (slices of pork butt, but cooked more like ribs). Doesn't look a lot like the pic at the front of the thread, but then again I had no lettuce, tomato or doner. I'm guessing that the real thing uses a quarter of a much larger flatbread, is that right ? [/QUOTE]

some döner buden use quarter and some use round flat bread

oh i forgot the kraut in my receipt but its not a sauer(acid) kraut version on the döner there is fresh kraut not fermented...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The sauce in the pics is the same as I used earlier - bottled coleslaw dressing with sriracha on top - but I got tired of the sweetness and switched to a 50/50 mix of yogurt and sambal oelek (chili paste). Still probably not authentic but it has to be closer than coleslaw dressing and I like the taste better.
    The sauerkraut had caraway even if the bread didn't.
    EDIT - I bet professional photographers don't have to worry about sriracha stains on their backdrops.
    yayyy finaly a picture of your food the bread locks professional nice browning.

but yes it does not look like a kebab the 2 colored dressings are really strange ...

they use chlli flakes not chilli paste...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i found some pictures how to make döner meat:

means its really 50 mieced and maybe 30-40 full meat and other stuff like spices.
    OK, I think I'm starting to understand this now. Traditional doner seems to have been made from hunks of meat pounded thin, trimmed into a rough circular shape, then marinated. The trimmings (including fatty bits) were ground up and layered between the relatively lean solid meat to provide a self-basting effect (in addition to the hunk of fat traditionally placed on top of the stack, augmented by a pineapple in Australia ).

I'm thinking maybe an 80/20 or 90/10 ratio of solid to minced meat originally. The pics you linked seemed to be more 80/20 the other way, or worse.
    Last edited by bridgman; 08-28-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Its about time! I love Döner, and everytime I am in Berlin, I can't wait to goto Alexanderplatz or Sudkreuz and grab a Donner. Too bad Southern California has no Donner restaurants!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, I think I'm starting to understand this now. Traditional doner seems to have been made from hunks of meat pounded thin, trimmed into a rough circular shape, then marinated. The trimmings (including fatty bits) were ground up and layered between the relatively lean solid meat to provide a self-basting effect (in addition to the hunk of fat traditionally placed on top of the stack, augmented by a pineapple in Australia ).

I'm thinking maybe an 80/20 or 90/10 ratio of solid to minced meat originally. The pics you linked seemed to be more 80/20 the other way, or worse.
    sure the picture shows a extreme version more than 60% minced meat is against the LAW in germany!...

you can not call your product döner kebab if you use more than 60% minced...

but maybe its 60& minced+Eggs, onions, oil, milk and yogurt 20% and only 20% real full meat

means maybe they go close to the maximum of the LAW...

" trimmed into a rough circular shape, then marinated."

all meat is marinated before...

only the modern minced version do have a inside marinate in the minced

This thread keeps making me hungry. I've never considered making home made döner before. Now I have to give it a swirl sometime in the (not to distant) future.