Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalyst 11.8 is available on servers

Default Catalyst 11.8 is available on servers

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run

For Gentoo users: Renaming the 11.7 ebuild "seems" to install fine.
    Rebooting now...

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Rebooting now...
    Famous last words :-d

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Famous last words :-d

And he was never seen again!
    Works fine here.

Default Perfect for a slow Summer afternoon

Let the bashing begin!

That driver provides opengl 4.1 not 4.2. So the hotfix driver is still needed for developers.

No bashing here - the drivers work fine...except I still cannot watch streaming videos in Flash, such as YouTube, in full-screen. This was working a couple years ago, but something in the flash and/or fglrx updates killed it (I think maybe it was the Flash 10 upgrade, but it's hard for me to say). I've since been relegated to either using Windows or watching non-fullscreen videos for many online streaming services that use flash. Acceleration in general works fine for me and has done so without trouble for well over a year now, so full-screen flash videos is the only improvement I'm hoping to see each time I upgrade either Flash or FGLRX.

Edit: I should note that I'm not much of a gamer these days...the most acceleration I experience these days is with video and desktop effects.
    Last edited by mikeuw; 08-17-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeuw View Post
    No bashing here - the drivers work fine...except I still cannot watch streaming videos in Flash, such as YouTube, in full-screen. This was working a couple years ago, but something in the flash and/or fglrx updates killed it (I think maybe it was the Flash 10 upgrade, but it's hard for me to say). I've since been relegated to either using Windows or watching non-fullscreen videos for many online streaming services that use flash. Acceleration in general works fine for me and has done so without trouble for well over a year now, so full-screen flash videos is the only improvement I'm hoping to see each time I upgrade either Flash or FGLRX.

Edit: I should note that I'm not much of a gamer these days...the most acceleration I experience these days is with video and desktop effects.
    Can you elaborate more on *what* is not working?
    I can watch YouTube videos full screen here without issues.

Catalyst 11.8
    Radeon 4850
    Flash 11.0.1.60_beta201108082
    kwin 4.7

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Can you elaborate more on *what* is not working?
    I can watch YouTube videos full screen here without issues.

Catalyst 11.8
    Radeon 4850
    Flash 11.0.1.60_beta201108082
    kwin 4.7
    For sure...I've currently got Catalyst 11.8 on Ubuntu Maverick (64-bit), with Flash 11.0.1.98 (also 64-bit), KDE 4.6.

When I try to go fullscreen in a flash video, it *works*, but it quickly grinds down to less than 1 fps, and will often take a minute for me to escape back out of it. So it's basically a major performance problem. As far as I can tell, Flash isn't even using video acceleration, since the same thing happens if I turn off hardware acceleration in the settings.

Edit: FWIW, I also get the same results regardless of whether the KDE desktop effects are enabled or not.
    Last edited by mikeuw; 08-17-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Also, if it matters, I'm running this on a Mobility Radeon HD 5730.

The problem you describe is because Flash doesn't like Composite. Flash 11 fixes that, but that only applies to the 32-bit build so far.