Yes. Pretty much correct. But small details:
- nvidia does not hinder noveau, amd controls(less or more, bad or good) radeon
- noveau is firmware-free as it can generate the firmware itself, unlike radeon(xf86-video-ati and corresponding kernel driver)
- noveau, in features and performance is same to nvidia, as radeon to fglrx. Well, due to AMD not turning away, radeon is 150% of noveau, yet not even close to nvidia blob or fglrx. In terms of power management noveau is better..
- noveau is clean-room reverse engineered driver, but radeon is not link
- amd is completely satisfied with how, and how fast radeon driver is developed and financed; and how it lives together with fglrx. Well, Iīm not. But everyone is free to choose,no?
- if you buy discrete card for 3d, neither of the drivers is usable, both opensource are interesting mostly for legacy unsupported cards(much less impacts nvidia)