Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.8 Linux Driver Released

Default I dont thinks all about fglrx

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I've tried 11.7 and 11.8 with a e-350 APU and I have the same suspend issue. It's bearable but... I wish AMD would get this fixed *sigh* .
    I run fglrx with ubtuntu 11.04 and 11.10 on a e350 (lenovo s205) and had no problem with suspend with the 11.4 - 11.8 fglrx driver.
    i did have promblems with suspend on this laptop but that was an efi issue passing noefi with boot args fixed it for me.

not sure if it worked with the open driver and efi

I just discovered alt-tab is working for me in Heroes of Newerth, haven't tested other games yet.

Quote Originally Posted by storma View Post
    I just discovered alt-tab is working for me in Heroes of Newerth, haven't tested other games yet.
    Thats good to hear. Since it doesn't work for me with Ubuntu 11.04 gnome with unity, can you please share these informations?:
    - Distro
    - KDE / Gnome / other
    - Use of compositing

Thanks.

Debian/testing
    Xfce
    Compositing: Yes and no.

With HoN and Savage2, I could alt-tab regardless of the state of compositing.
    With Oilrush, Trine and Sauerbraten, alt-tab didn't work regardless of the state of compositing.

Quote Originally Posted by storma View Post
    Debian/testing
    Xfce
    Compositing: Yes and no.

With HoN and Savage2, I could alt-tab regardless of the state of compositing.
    With Oilrush, Trine and Sauerbraten, alt-tab didn't work regardless of the state of compositing.
    The issue is that many games grab the keyboard indiscriminately, stealing alt-tab messages from the window manager. Fglrx had an additional "feature" on top of that where it would automatically unredirect fullscreen-sized windows, which appears to be fixed now.

i have been using alt+ctrl+D (show desktop) that has been working good so far
    some games ofc like Trine grab the mouse so u have to use ctrl+g first to ungrab it.

Default better than NVIDIA

to me, this driver works perfectly, far better than any nvidia driver I used on other machines. The Nvidia driver needs compiz to be switched off for playing games (or the peformance is A LOT slower), has no localization for nvidia-settings, which also looks outdated, and video-tearing is still an issue. Also, no open-source alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by vervelover View Post
    to me, this driver works perfectly, far better than any nvidia driver I used on other machines. The Nvidia driver needs compiz to be switched off for playing games (or the peformance is A LOT slower), has no localization for nvidia-settings, which also looks outdated, and video-tearing is still an issue. Also, no open-source alternative.
    Sorry if offtopic

Nouveau is the OSS alternative to the nVidia blob and is under heavy development. Right now it's at the point where the radeon driver was at like 2 years ago in comparison (2D works pretty well and very basic 3D support in Mesa)

Then people should keep reporting bugs or adding info to existing bugs for Catalyst if they want them fixed. Also people should open or add to bug reports for radeon driver as well :^)

I don't know why, but my asus crosshair 4 formula seems to be incompatible with 4870 x2 (single GPU card with crossfire) ... Win7 HPE x64 is treating it like it's a removable USB device.

It's even come up with a second fake LCD screen. One that doesn't physically exist!

The only annoying thing I've noticed out-of-the-box is a couple of funky texture artifacts in HoN (HD4670).
    Most notably, if I start at the hellbourne camp, folliage is randomly replaced by black and white checkers patterns. Same goes for mini-map "death ping" icons. No issues with 11.7.