Thread: PC-BSD/FreeBSD 9.0 For Intel Sandy Bridge

Default PC-BSD/FreeBSD 9.0 For Intel Sandy Bridge

Phoronix: PC-BSD/FreeBSD 9.0 For Intel Sandy Bridge

In the half-year since the launch of Intel's Sandy Bridge processors, these very fast processors with rather good integrated graphics (using an open-source driver) have been benchmarked every which way under Linux on Phoronix. Phoronix benchmarks have shown broken kernels, AVX compiler performance, and even comparison results to Windows and Mac OS X, among other original Intel SNB articles. What hasn't been tested up to this point though is the BSD operating system support for Intel Sandy Bridge hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTc4Ng

I know this is not directly related to the article. But, the article got me thinking about BSD and gaming.

Does anyone know if all or if most all commercial Linux games run on the BSD's, if any? I am thinking of games like Doom 3, Savage: Te battle for newerth and Tribal Trouble.

I, never having used a BSD before am intrigued by what would be compatible between the two OS's, Linux and BSD.

Quote Originally Posted by MNKyDeth View Post
    I know this is not directly related to the article. But, the article got me thinking about BSD and gaming.

Does anyone know if all or if most all commercial Linux games run on the BSD's, if any? I am thinking of games like Doom 3, Savage: Te battle for newerth and Tribal Trouble.

I, never having used a BSD before am intrigued by what would be compatible between the two OS's, Linux and BSD.
    FreeBSD has Linux emulation and Quake 3 for Linux works in it, so there's a good chance these other games do too.

Default PC-BSD/FreeBSD 9.0 For Intel Sandy Bridge

The topic from bsd gaming is relevant to my interests.