Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 Beta Has No Power Regression Fix

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,397

    Default Ubuntu 11.10 Beta Has No Power Regression Fix

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.10 Beta Has No Power Regression Fix

    Canonical's Kate Stewart set a milestone for correcting the ASPM power issue by Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1. Ubuntu 11.04 Beta will be released today, but it will not fix the Linux 2.6.38 power regression that's caused by a change in PCI-E Active State Power Management...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg2Mg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    120

    Default

    1 small nit:

    " ... by Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1. Ubuntu 11.04 Beta will be released today, "

    should read

    by Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1. Ubuntu 11.10 Beta will be released today,

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Yawn, no news here

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,762

    Default

    Well, the last stand of the so called "Linux Desktop", which is on the laptop, is fleeting away. No one will want Linux on their laptops if it means 3 hours less battery time than Windows.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Well, the last stand of the so called "Linux Desktop", which is on the laptop, is fleeting away. No one will want Linux on their laptops if it means 3 hours less battery time than Windows.
    Equally people don't want their machines crashing - which was why the code was disabled in the first place for machines that don't declare they support it

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Equally people don't want their machines crashing - which was why the code was disabled in the first place for machines that don't declare they support it
    Double bad. No crashes = no battery. Screwed double.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    574

    Default

    The real fix is for the manufactures to provide. I doubt however most of them will update their bios

    I refuse to buy a Samsung laptop to this day due to a bios bug that only showed up when you used 4GB of RAM on a 64bit OS

    The bios was only fixed when Windows 7 was released even though I told them about the bug 2 years prior :-(

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    HP screwed up the BIOS (InsydeH20 garbage) on my dv6-3210. Forcing ASPM used to work, and after a BIOS update, it doesn't. If I hadn't been in such a hurry to buy a laptop, I would've got something from a dedicated Linux vendor.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    HP screwed up the BIOS (InsydeH20 garbage) on my dv6-3210. Forcing ASPM used to work, and after a BIOS update, it doesn't. If I hadn't been in such a hurry to buy a laptop, I would've got something from a dedicated Linux vendor.
    woulda shoulda coulda

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default This isn't Ubuntu-only, is it?

    <sarcasm>
    Since Ubuntu is now consistently going off the reservation, perhaps they should consider developing their own kernel too, you know like Unity, only lower-level.
    </sarcasm>

    I presume that since this is upstream and difficult to solve, that:

    a) it's outside of the Ubuntu development community's expertise to solve without hairy workarounds, and
    b) it's affecting virtually every modern Linux distribution?

    Didn't Michael have some experimental patches he was working on to solve this, or was it just the results of his profiling correlated against patchsets?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •