Thread: NetworkManager 0.9 Release Brings Networking Fun

Default NetworkManager 0.9 Release Brings Networking Fun

Phoronix: NetworkManager 0.9 Release Brings Networking Fun

NetworkManager 0.8 was released at the beginning of the year and then NetworkManager 0.9 was planned for release in March, but its release didn't finally take place until yesterday. NetworkManager 0.9 is a huge release that breaks both the API and ABI compared to the previous NetworkManager release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTgzMA

this is a major new release that "hugely" simplifies the configuration model of network devices
    I bet this means that they have removed all configuration options, similar to the rest of GNOME's inconfigurability regime.

Question

My only question is this.
    Have they made it so that when you turn on your laptop, will it connect to the strongest/closest WiFi point on the auto-connect list, or does it still connect to them in alphabetical order. That is the only reason I still deal with wicd is because of that.

Note that if you're on Fedora 15 you're already using 0.9, it shipped with a pre-release, as 0.9 is required for GNOME 3 NM integration. The same may well be true of OpenSUSE, but I haven't checked.

I see the long-awaited bonding support is still MIA.
    Anyone taking bets on how long before either KNetworkManager or Network-management plasma widget is fixed to work with the new API?

Quote Originally Posted by myxal View Post
    Anyone taking bets on how long before either KNetworkManager or Network-management plasma widget is fixed to work with the new API?
    For Fedora 15, we had NM 0.9 ship with the NM 0.8 API available as well as the NM 0.9 API, for KDE to use.

I don't know if that's upstream in the official NM 0.9 release, or if KDE is ported now, or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegar View Post
    I bet this means that they have removed all configuration options, similar to the rest of GNOME's inconfigurability regime.
    Spoken like a True Believer

Quote Originally Posted by myxal View Post
    It works for me on Gentoo. I have been using it for a week or two.

"If you switch and the new active user doesnít have permissions for a connection, itís terminated."

So if I'm downloading something and I fast user switch the download could be cancelled?