Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Legacy Mesa Drivers Receive Their Death Sentence

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    It was worth it for those with the $new_chips. Entirely not worth it for those with i8xx.
    That is not true. Support for i8xx was more or less broken for nearly a year but in the last months the support is getting better again. For example Ubuntu 11.04 works way much better than Ubuntu 10.04 on this chips.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilboa View Post
    (Repeat after me: I will not post while being high on [enter name of substance here])
    Hey, I've made some of my best posts on <substance>, and people still make inane posts on <blue pill>. Leave the drugz out of it, NARC.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glasen View Post
    That is not true. Support for i8xx was more or less broken for nearly a year but in the last months the support is getting better again. For example Ubuntu 11.04 works way much better than Ubuntu 10.04 on this chips.
    Ubuntu is using the vesa driver as the default, which is why it works better, so your argument only supports the viewpoint you quoted. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Ubuntu is using the vesa driver as the default, which is why it works better, so your argument only supports the viewpoint you quoted. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus
    Believe, i know what i'm talking about.

    The 855GM-chipset flawlessly works if you're using kernel-version 2.6.38+, the Intel graphics driver 2.16 (without SNA) and Mesa 7.10.3+. Ubuntu 11.04 delivers two of these three things but can update the graphics driver to version 2.16 very easily.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Just because you're using Mesa 7.10.3, it doesn't mean you're using the i810 driver. Furthermore, even if you are, it doesn't mean that the i810 driver doesn't freeze on lots of other hardware/systems other than yours.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64

    Default

    What are you talking about? The "i810"-DRI-module was used only for the i810 and i815-chipsets. All other chipsets newer than this use the "i915" (i830 - i945) or the "i965"-DRI-module (i965 and above).

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glasen View Post
    The "i810"-DRI-module was used only for the i810 and i815-chipsets. All other chipsets newer than this use the "i915" (i830 - i945) or the "i965"-DRI-module (i965 and above).
    Okay, then why are you talking about your i855 if it's unrelated to the topic?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Because of this excerpt from Michaels article:

    The only one of these DRI1 hardware drivers that still might be missed by a small portion of users would be the i810 driver, which provides the Intel Mesa support for pre-i915 IGPs. This though shouldn't be a terrible shock. Intel engineers haven't given a damn about the i810/855 series for years since some of this old hardware was already fairly problematic just when it came to mode-setting and there was already a host of DDX issues when migrating to the GEM-enabled KMS-only stack.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Right. Just to be clear: the proposal is to remove support for the original i810, which uses a separate "i810" DRI1 driver. Ian did not propose removing support for i830/845/852/855/865, which uses the "i915" DRI2 driver.

    Michael is correct in that all the 8xx chipsets are basically unsupported at this point, though...we might remove 3D support for those at some point in the future (but not today!).

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Darn... Still using savage, tdfx and r128 here... I actually find it more satisfying to resurrect old systems than to participate in FPS bragging contests.

    Oh well, there are a couple of distros aimed at old HW anyway, there's hoping legacy Mesa will be in maintenance mode through those.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •