Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Android Support Merged Into Mesa / Gallium3D

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,906

    Default Android Support Merged Into Mesa / Gallium3D

    Phoronix: Android Support Merged Into Mesa / Gallium3D

    It's now possible to build and run mainline Mesa releases on Google's Android platform. While this doesn't make too much sense to use Mesa on Android for mobile ARM devices due to the lack of open-source Mesa / Gallium3D graphics drivers in this area, this support opens up new possibilities for running the Android operating system on x86 netbooks and tablets...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTgzMw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default pedantic correction.

    If you refer to him by his given chinese name, then his first name is Wu. Chia-I is his family name. Therefore, you should address him as Mr. Chia-I(or Chia-I Xiansheng), or by his "given name" Wu. Titles are very important in chinese society and you do him a disservice by referring to him as simply Chia-I.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justsumdood View Post
    If you refer to him by his given chinese name, then his first name is Wu. Chia-I is his family name. Therefore, you should address him as Mr. Chia-I(or Chia-I Xiansheng), or by his "given name" Wu. Titles are very important in chinese society and you do him a disservice by referring to him as simply Chia-I.
    why not just call him Dude?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justsumdood View Post
    If you refer to him by his given chinese name, then his first name is Wu. Chia-I is his family name. Therefore, you should address him as Mr. Chia-I(or Chia-I Xiansheng), or by his "given name" Wu. Titles are very important in chinese society and you do him a disservice by referring to him as simply Chia-I.
    If you're going to be pedantic, he's from Taiwan not China.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    If you're going to be pedantic, he's from Taiwan not China.
    While you're being pedantic, you might want to note that the official English name of the state in question is "Republic of China".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Wow, way to off topic. Maybe you guys want to finish up this discussion of naming convention in private?

    As for the R600G support for Android.... I guess the big question is *just how far* has the Adreno series of GPUs diverged from the R600's they are based on?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    I wonder how we'd find out now that it's owned by Qualcomm.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Very interesting.

    Hopefully the R300g driver will be added in the future to the list of drivers that work on/with android.

    Does this mean the graphics driver infrastructure for Android and Linux is unifying?
    Will it be possible in the future to write a driver on Linux and that it automatically works in Android?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    I wonder how we'd find out now that it's owned by Qualcomm.
    Obviously, by reverse engineering the qualcomm hardware and comparing the similarities. Every similarity that can be found simplifies the overall process, so the only real hard work is in reverse engineering the *differences* -- which are hopefully minor.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plonoma View Post
    Does this mean the graphics driver infrastructure for Android and Linux is unifying? Will it be possible in the future to write a driver on Linux and that it automatically works in Android?
    Sort of - between KMS and recent EGL work you can now run a GL ES stack over the kernel driver without X, which provides the foundation of what you need for Android. There are a couple of things in Android which require additional driver hooks in the 2.x Android versions but going forward most of these seem to be moving to run over GL ES.

    So... pretty much yes today, and the remaining bits should come over time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •