Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Radeon HD 7000 Series Linux Driver Support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,369

    Default Radeon HD 7000 Series Linux Driver Support

    Phoronix: Radeon HD 7000 Series Linux Driver Support

    For those wondering what AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver developers are likely working on.....

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxNjY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Tom's a wee hottie

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default What about ati graphics cards on sandy bridge processors?

    In windows 7 you can choose what apps to run in high performance mode from catalyst, thus you have capability of both. In Linux I expect them to at least make that possible rather than throwing catalyst drivers that don't work on any modern processors. If you ship ati cards on new computers it is dual graphics by default (with intel HD 3000 being default). So what are they doing, putting their head inside sand and assuming the world is all well. I have completely disabled ati cards on Linux. If I disable Intel and enable ati driver (using vgaswitcheroo switch), computer just freezes or does not boot in graphics. If it could boot with ati on I could install their catalyst driver. I even updated my bios, hoping I could switch specific VGA on or off from bios, as dell listed here under Fixes and Enhancements

    1.enable Discrete AMD VGA fixed mode Support

    What does that even mean, when I see no option to do that.

    Even if would require me to restart the computer for each switch that's fine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    "The AMD Radeon HD 7000 series will be 28nm-based GPUs and are expected to ship with support for x86 addressing in a unified CPU/GPU address space, integrate PowerTune support, RISC MIMD instructions replacing VLIW SIMD instructions for GPGPU computing, XDR2 video RAM, PCI Express 3.0 support, and various other interesting changes. "

    no you are wrong michael the 7870 for example is only a 6970 4D VLIW SIMD card shrinked to 28nm and maybe more shaders and stuff.

    only the 7950 and 7970 are the new " RISC MIMD instructions" architecture with "with support for x86 addressing in a unified CPU/GPU address space" and XDR2 video RAM and PCI Express 3.0

    and you also wrong in time and date because the new architecture will not come in 2011.

    only the hd7870 come in the end of 2011.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    "The AMD Radeon HD 7000 series will be 28nm-based GPUs and are expected to ship with support for x86 addressing in a unified CPU/GPU address space, integrate PowerTune support, RISC MIMD instructions replacing VLIW SIMD instructions for GPGPU computing, XDR2 video RAM, PCI Express 3.0 support, and various other interesting changes. "

    no you are wrong michael the 7870 for example is only a 6970 4D VLIW SIMD card shrinked to 28nm and maybe more shaders and stuff.

    only the 7950 and 7970 are the new " RISC MIMD instructions" architecture with "with support for x86 addressing in a unified CPU/GPU address space" and XDR2 video RAM and PCI Express 3.0

    and you also wrong in time and date because the new architecture will not come in 2011.

    only the hd7870 come in the end of 2011.
    Isn't the hd7870 part of the new architecture? We don't need the entire lineup to have it. We just need 1 model.

    By the way, didn't Fermi have support for these things a while ago? It seems like AMD is behind.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    By the way, didn't Fermi have support for these things a while ago? It seems like AMD is behind.
    NVidia has been moving away from a graphics architecture and towards a compute architecture for a while now. Fermi indeed brought a lot of those features. This is AMD finally deciding to go the same direction.

    To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it - I think a lot of the great price/performance we got from ATI over the last couple generations was precisely because they were focusing on graphics performance while NVidia worred about compute features most people never used. Hopefully that doesn't become a problem for ATI now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    769

    Default

    XDR2 video RAM
    Oh noes! Isn't that RAMBUS technology? Somehow when I think of RAMBUS a nasty feeling creeps into my stomach. (patents, lawsuits, high priced memory and so on)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    343

    Default

    high priced and high speed

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Isn't the hd7870 part of the new architecture?
    no the hd7870 is the old VLIW 4D architecture

    only the hd7950 and hd7970 are build in the new architecture.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    By the way, didn't Fermi have support for these things a while ago? It seems like AMD is behind.
    the fermi only do have some features bot not all and not the key features.

    the fermi do not have x86 64bit shared ram space.
    the fermi do not have the new ram
    the fermi is not directX 12.

    and so one and so one

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Oh noes! Isn't that RAMBUS technology? Somehow when I think of RAMBUS a nasty feeling creeps into my stomach. (patents, lawsuits, high priced memory and so on)
    LOL sure yes all the bad stuff!

    but this time its fast.. the double of the ddr5 speed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •