So, what about Evergreen HDMI Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
    You forgot to mention the part where you're only restricted in the first place because AMD signs NDAs with Microsoft over Hollywood DRM. Why do I keep having to mention this? I feel like a broken record.
    Because it applies to the entire industry and is not specific to AMD. It's like saying "you'd get a lot more done if you didn't stop working and sleep every night". It's true, but it applies to everyone so I don't mention it when answering specific questions.

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
    Bridgman i have a question.

is there any "roadmap" of status of open drivers ?
    can see any progress or progress map ?

what is currently focus of team ? what part of drivers?

what is working, what isnt?

it would be awesome to see stuff like that
    That's at least 5 questions

In terms of roadmap it's basically the stuff we talked about at XDC recently - next generation hardware (GCN), changes to memory management, OpenCL, more work on trying to open up UVD, along with ongoing support & bug fixing.

In terms of what is working and what isn't, Trinity is basically working and the focus now is building up the GCN acceleration stack. Kernel driver for GCN has been working for a while although changes to memory management are continuing, and work is ramping up on shader compiler and 3D acceleration. We're working in a slightly different sequence from what we used on previous new generations -- command submission before display, and 3D before 2D -- in order to align better with some other projects.

A good chunk of the shader compiler work is common between GCN and OpenCL, so you can choose which of those you want to think Tom is working on. Tom is also the first contact for android-x86 issues.

It was easier to talk about this stuff when we were catching up, and working on hardware which had already been released. This "get ahead of the game and work on unreleased hardware" stuff is a bit of a pain, in the sense that there's much less we can talk about while the work is being done. We are trying to release portions of the work early wherever possible (eg the multi-ring support pushed out recently), hoping to get the revised memory management code out into the light next so that other devs can have a chance to review & comment before it goes upstream.

I guess it's fair to say that a lot of the work so far has been foundation technology which is optional on current chips but which is an essential pre-requisite for the next round of hardware support. I'm not talking about UVD here because I still don't know what the endgame is going to be, but there is a fair amount of work going on there as well.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03 December 2011, 01:20 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

hmmm

opencl - working?
      UDV - working?
      3d[line quake live] - too slow, even on 4850, frame drops/skipping
      2d - works good
      tv support[s-video] - ? [difficult to configure]
      etc

thats what i was asking for ^^

Comment

opencl - working?
        Given all the different projects on the go right now it's a pretty safe bet that once something is working we'll spend time on something else, so practically speaking if we're working on something it isn't working yet.

So no, open cl - not working.

UDV - working?
        I'm not talking about UVD at this point until I have a clearer picture of whether we will be able to release the info.

3d[line quake live] - too slow, even on 4850, frame drops/skipping
        ??

2d - works good
        Works good on Trinity, not implemented yet on GCN

tv support[s-video] - ? [difficult to configure]
        I didn't think recent chips had TV out hardware, other than HDMI.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Because it applies to the entire industry and is not specific to AMD. It's like saying "you'd get a lot more done if you didn't stop working and sleep every night". It's true, but it applies to everyone so I don't mention it when answering specific questions.

That's at least 5 questions

In terms of roadmap it's basically the stuff we talked about at XDC recently - next generation hardware (GCN), changes to memory management, OpenCL, more work on trying to open up UVD, along with ongoing support & bug fixing.

In terms of what is working and what isn't, Trinity is basically working and the focus now is building up the GCN acceleration stack. Kernel driver for GCN has been working for a while although changes to memory management are continuing, and work is ramping up on shader compiler and 3D acceleration. We're working in a slightly different sequence from what we used on previous new generations -- command submission before display, and 3D before 2D -- in order to align better with some other projects.

A good chunk of the shader compiler work is common between GCN and OpenCL, so you can choose which of those you want to think Tom is working on. Tom is also the first contact for android-x86 issues.

It was easier to talk about this stuff when we were catching up, and working on hardware which had already been released. This "get ahead of the game and work on unreleased hardware" stuff is a bit of a pain, in the sense that there's much less we can talk about while the work is being done. We are trying to release portions of the work early wherever possible (eg the multi-ring support pushed out recently), hoping to get the revised memory management code out into the light next so that other devs can have a chance to review & comment before it goes upstream.

I guess it's fair to say that a lot of the work so far has been foundation technology which is optional on current chips but which is an essential pre-requisite for the next round of hardware support. I'm not talking about UVD here because I still don't know what the endgame is going to be, but there is a fair amount of work going on there as well.
          The fact that Intel and Nvidia also collaborate with the slime at Microsoft, Apple, and Hollywood to remove the control of the user's computer doesn't excuse AMD from doing it. You're only cooperating because you are benefiting from helping them screw over the customer in the form of bribes, kickbacks, and certification for Vista7.

You guys only get away with it because many users are stupid and won't push back.

Take a look around sometime and see how many blu ray rips there are out there. Software available for Windows circumvents your defective DRM and only insures that you put out bad drivers for operating systems that don't conspire with AMD to attack their user.

I'd respect you more if you admitted your DRM never stops piracy, is there because of marching orders from your masters at the organized crime syndicates, and only serves to make your hardware work worse on freedom respecting operating systems. Everytime you (personally) suggest that your DRM is "strong" or "robust", I roll my eyes. You have to know you are a liar.

I know your bosses at AMD want you to be their liar liar, but if you could do it without your pants being on fire I'd sure appreciate it in the future.
          Last edited by DaemonFC; 04 December 2011, 03:34 AM.

Comment

I'll dedicate a second post to this part of my soapbox regarding AMD.

Thank you AMD, and all of your employees that work to make your open Linux drivers better. You've done a hell of a lot more than Nvidia or Intel have, and the only reason I'm using your hardware is because you suck a lot less than they do in this regard.

To quote Richard Stallman however, which is sometimes dead on, "you can't judge an entire company based on a small fraction of what they do". Most of AMD's work is taking bribes from big software companies and turning around and putting out puff pieces in favor of closed technologies that are designed to betray the user and forestall legitimate competition. Whenever I see you've blogged about some piece of crap like Internet Explorer in a positive way, I know immediately that Microsoft has more than likely paid you to do it because no actual human being likes Internet Explorer. IE is the browser equivalent of being water boarded at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to the tune of Barney and Friends.

AMD also tried and failed to help Microsoft salvage the flaming train wreckage known as Windows Vista, and promotes its successor which is barely an improvement at all.

I don't really have any "consumer loyalty" to your company beyond the fact that you dedicate a couple of people to working on open source driver code, where your main rival Nvidia dedicates Zero to improving open source support, and their entire closed source team to obfuscating as much of their cards as they possibly can.

It would be preferable were a competitor to AMD to rise up and be even more open, in which case I would ditch you like yesterday's garbage the same way I did Nvidia a couple years ago. You're one competitor that goes an extra inch from losing my business. I know that doesn't mean a lot to you but it's true and I can only assume that there are some others that feel the same way.

Why do you work on open source drivers, if I may ask? Could it be because some of your bigger clients want a system that isn't contaminated by an old buggy FGLRX driver with security problems that only AMD can fix (or hide)? (Nvidia has been known to misuse their proprietary driver status to sit on gaping security holes they don't feel like fixing, from time to time.)
            Last edited by DaemonFC; 04 December 2011, 03:49 AM.

Comment

HDMI audio on my Evergreen is working after a day of hacking. I need dump from different machines to make it work on more cards. Take a look at my blog or http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...s-need-testers to help.

Comment

Working...
              X