Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Performance Overhaul Of KDE's KWin

Hybrid View

Default A Performance Overhaul Of KDE's KWin

Phoronix: A Performance Overhaul Of KDE's KWin

Martin Gräßlin has successfully boosted the performance of KDE's KWin for the upcoming 4.7.2 point release and more so for the KDE SC 4.8 release. This is an attempt to make the KWin compositing window manager handle rendering at sixty frames per second, which it hasn't been able to scale to that frame-rate due to deficiencies in the project's code-paths...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg1Mw

KDE would be totally lost without Martin. What an amazing guy.

I get fantastic FPS with Mutter and Gnome3 on my Intel 965GM, using SNA and very recent kernel and mesa from git. Everything is smooth It's as smooth as Mac OS X. I don't know how they do it, but I've never used a more smooth compositor than mutter/clutter.

I know KWin can do it too, but they'll need to either cut down on the number / complexity of the effects, or keep optimizing.

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    I get fantastic FPS with Mutter and Gnome3 on my Intel 965GM, using SNA and very recent kernel and mesa from git. Everything is smooth It's as smooth as Mac OS X. I don't know how they do it, but I've never used a more smooth compositor than mutter/clutter.

I know KWin can do it too, but they'll need to either cut down on the number / complexity of the effects, or keep optimizing.
    All very nice... but I imagine that full screen videos/opengl play like crap. (mutter does not unredirect full screen apps).

KWin has issues with unredirecting as well (the screen flickers when something appears over the fullscreen app), so they have disabled that option by default now.

Unfortunately, Martin says this simple optimization won't make it in 4.7 because it counts as a feature, for some reason. With draconian policies like that, it's a wonder KDE gets anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by _txf_ View Post
    All very nice... but I imagine that full screen videos/opengl play like crap. (mutter does not unredirect full screen apps).
    It does in the 3.2 dev branch http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTg1Mg

Quote Originally Posted by Harp32Wil View Post
    Or both.

Bla-bla - ignore this - I'm just trying to fulfill the stupid phoronix forum requirement "Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.".

Quote Originally Posted by _txf_ View Post

It does now https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnom.../msg00190.html

Quote Originally Posted by nzjrs View Post
    Is there an echo in this thread?