Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

Default OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

Phoronix: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD

It's been a while since last providing a Phoronix review of a solid-state drive from OCZ Technology, but now with Serial ATA 3.0 support becoming more prevalent on modern Intel and AMD motherboards, they have been releasing a number of updated products to take advantage of SATA 3.0. In the review we have our hands on an OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD as we see how this SATA III SSD performs under Ubuntu Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16355

These results are insane! I mean, it's almost 20 times faster in the first test! Perhaps an SSD drive would be worth the money now'days, especially for compilation work in Gentoo.

Once you go SSD, you never go back. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Once you go SSD, you never go back. Trust me.
    I can imagine. I mean, I would still have a couple of TB of traditional disks on my NAS and in my desktop computer for storage, but to have the main system disk as SSD would really kick ass.

just a typo
    "my ssd is faster than your hdd" not "* than your ssd"

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

That is a Vertex 2 issue. This is the Vertex 3. It was never affected by that.

If you get the urge to go ssd, do a quick check on their failure rates first :P

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...ive-scale.html

/me runs in ram anyway, so a ssd wouldn't be any better than a hdd for me...

what would be the best use for an SSD for home/desktop use ? Only put / on it or also /home. I would think the / will give a nice boot performance but /home would give best overall experience, but what about not putting many write files (which /home is more then /) on it, or is that old news and we past that ?

sorry if all sounds noob but just wondering

I built a new (Fedora 15) workstation using a Sandy Bridge 2600k i7 on an Asus P8H67 micro-ATX board when the B3 stepping were released in the spring and 16GB RAM. I use a Vertex 3 for a mostly read-only root drive (I bought the product replacement plan at great expense), and save some write cycles using a 10k RPM Velociraptor for swap, /tmp, /var, and /home. I have 2 * 3TB 7200RPM Hitachi Deskstar's in RAID 1 on /home/data. I haven't had any problems with any of this equipment yet (Phoronix FUD'd the P8H67). The system is stupid fast.