Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: After Dropping Old GPU Drivers, Ian Axes More Mesa Code

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,629

    Default After Dropping Old GPU Drivers, Ian Axes More Mesa Code

    Phoronix: After Dropping Old GPU Drivers, Ian Axes More Mesa Code

    One week ago Ian Romanick called for old Mesa drivers to be removed from the mainline tree so that Mesa can move forward and be cleaned up to better the support for modern GPUs. These old Mesa drivers were DRI1-only, rarely ever received new work, and were largely for vintage graphics processors that most people haven't touched in years (e.g. the 3Dfx Voodoo days). With most developers approving this move, the old Mesa graphics drivers were removed. Ian Romanick has now moved further along with a slew of new patches to delete more code from Mesa...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg1OQ

  2. #2

    Default

    "One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
    Ken Thompson

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    "One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
    Ken Thompson
    He obviously deals with a much cleaner codebase than I do. A thousand lines would be a normal day for me... even when adding new functionality, I'm disappointed if I find I've not managed a net decrease in LOC...

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    He obviously deals with a much cleaner codebase than I do. A thousand lines would be a normal day for me... even when adding new functionality, I'm disappointed if I find I've not managed a net decrease in LOC...
    Or a smaller codebase. I imagine if his codebase was big enough, he would also delete a thousand lines a day.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Just threw my Diamond Monster Fusion (3dfx Banshee) in the recycling pile today.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhansonxi View Post
    Just threw my Diamond Monster Fusion (3dfx Banshee) in the recycling pile today.
    Why? Because its 3D driver has been removed?

    Because you were using it (and its 3D driver) a lot before? You know that Mesa 7.12 is a long way away?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •