Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Studio Is Working On A Unigine-Based Game

Hybrid View

Default Another Studio Is Working On A Unigine-Based Game

Phoronix: Another Studio Is Working On A Unigine-Based Game

Unigine Corp announced yesterday they have a new licensee for their Unigine Engine. The latest game studio to license this visually impressive multi-platform game engine -- with first-rate Linux support -- is BlueGiant Interactive. BlueGiant is developing a real-time strategy game using the Unigine Engine...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg2MA

Nice! Looks very good! Then GoGoGo Mesa. I want to play that games with your drivers! We need minimum OpenGL3 and tons of performance improvements!

But I think that Mesa is on a good way to it.

The most important thing we need at the moment is GLSL 1.3. Is someone even working on it? Any branch open for it or any patches to test? Really wanna have it!

Greetungs

Wubbbi

For unigine - you are going to be happier with OpenGL 4+

Quote Originally Posted by Wubbbi View Post
    Nice! Looks very good! Then GoGoGo Mesa. I want to play that games with your drivers! We need minimum OpenGL3 and tons of performance improvements!
    But I think that Mesa is on a good way to it.
    The most important thing we need at the moment is GLSL 1.3. Is someone even working on it? Any branch open for it or any patches to test? Really wanna have it!
    Greetungs
    Wubbbi
    in my point of view mesa the main version can't support openGL3...

they only can support a mesa3.0

because of software patents like the floating point HDR graphic patent.
    another important one is the s3tc patent...
    in the patent law in Germany the floating point hdr patent isn't valid but the s3tc one is.
    in the US law both are valid.

the Linux people should better go for Open Cl and a ray-tracing game engine.

In Unigine the s3tc patent could be worked around (by using uncompressed textures) this would however increase the amount of memory required dramatically and limit the size of game you could make.
    Some Unigine features (most notably HDR lighting) rely quite heavily on floating point textures. You could possibly work around these limitations.
    Other Unigine features rely on OpenGL4 (or extensions) though there is a OpenGL ES version for portable devices.

Hopefully there will be a Linux client for this forthcoming Unigine-based RTS, which shouldn't be much of a problem considering the full Linux compatibility with Unigine.
    I call trolling, again, on Phoronix, and with good reason.

Blizzard has a long history of making games for both *nix (Mac) and Wintel OSes, yet they don't release games for Linux.

In Blizzard's case it's even stupider because they make ALL of the binaries needed for *nix systems, not just the engine. For whatever reasons they are being stupid and doing that, that is reality.

So, just because some game maker uses an engine that is compatible with *nix systems in no way shape or form means it will be on all the systems it is compatible with.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post

Blizzard has a long history of making games for both *nix (Mac) and Wintel OSes, yet they don't release games for Linux.

In Blizzard's case it's even stupider because they make ALL of the binaries needed for *nix systems, not just the engine. For whatever reasons they are being stupid and doing that, that is reality.

So, just because some game maker uses an engine that is compatible with *nix systems in no way shape or form means it will be on all the systems it is compatible with.
    yup just more trolling from Phoronix but temping us with linux...
    This site has literally plummeted in usefulness to just hardware and xorg stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    What, no call out on the stereotypical Western bias towards India?

At first this made me less hopeful of seeing a quality Unigine game out of BlueGiant

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    in my point of view mesa the main version can't support openGL3...

they only can support a mesa3.0

because of software patents like the floating point HDR graphic patent.
    another important one is the s3tc patent...
    in the patent law in Germany the floating point hdr patent isn't valid but the s3tc one is.
    in the US law both are valid.

the Linux people should better go for Open Cl and a ray-tracing game engine.
    S3TC is not a requirement for any version of OpenGL, it's simply an optional extension that many apps decided to require.

--enable-floating-point is the only bit that will be required for GL3, and I don't believe there is anything in GL4 that would be a problem either.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    S3TC is not a requirement for any version of OpenGL, it's simply an optional extension that many apps decided to require.

--enable-floating-point is the only bit that will be required for GL3, and I don't believe there is anything in GL4 that would be a problem either.
    "many apps decided to require."

in my point of view its 100% the same result! no matter its a requirement for an openGL version or not.

even if there is no s3tc the game engine can not deliver a competitive results because of the limitation of the bandwidth of the vram.

on the vram size you can just buy the bigger card maybe a 4gb vram card or more but on the speed side you can not have more GB/s out of your ram interface.

bigger size in vram means it need more GB/s bandwidth for the same result!

this kind of "opensource" game engine will just lost all competitive benchmarks and competitive optical customer reviews.