Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Studio Is Working On A Unigine-Based Game

With no actual mention of Linux for that game, it does make me wonder.

I personally would like an update on this Unigine game with the included link back to phoronix.

https://annorath-game.com/

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...nd-3D-Designer

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    S3TC is not a requirement for any version of OpenGL, it's simply an optional extension that many apps decided to require.

--enable-floating-point is the only bit that will be required for GL3, and I don't believe there is anything in GL4 that would be a problem either.
    "many apps decided to require."

in my point of view its 100% the same result! no matter its a requirement for an openGL version or not.

even if there is no s3tc the game engine can not deliver a competitive results because of the limitation of the bandwidth of the vram.

on the vram size you can just buy the bigger card maybe a 4gb vram card or more but on the speed side you can not have more GB/s out of your ram interface.

bigger size in vram means it need more GB/s bandwidth for the same result!

this kind of "opensource" game engine will just lost all competitive benchmarks and competitive optical customer reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Wubbbi View Post
    Even if so, I dont care about patents. I have --enable-texture-floating enabled and the s3tc installed. All is working on my machine. I really dont care about that patents. And yes ... I live in Germany. BND come to me and kill me!!!!

Greetings

Wubbbi
    in germany patent law only hit companys and no privat human!

privat humans can use all patents withlout any paymend.

but if you try to make money they will f. you

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post

I know. Thus I personally dont care about any patents. I just use them as I want to. So the point with "S3tc or --texture-floating is requierd [...] You wont be able to run it" is compleetly wrong in this place. I use it and it works. So why do I care about it? Just becuase Upstream ( Mesa ) now the Distributions do not include it, it does not mean that its not possible to use.

Greetings

Wubbbi

Quote Originally Posted by Wubbbi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post

I know. Thus I personally dont care about any patents. I just use them as I want to. So the point with "S3tc or --texture-floating is requierd [...] You wont be able to run it" is compleetly wrong in this place. I use it and it works. So why do I care about it? Just becuase Upstream ( Mesa ) now the Distributions do not include it, it does not mean that its not possible to use.

Greetings

Wubbbi
    Right, since they only care about making money, going after individuals doesn't help them. It gives bad PR to both their company and to patents, which is too bad because patents, especially software patents, need more bad PR so the public will notice the problem more and rebel against their governments implementing these artwork/math monopolies in particular.

So please support open source projects implementing patents. Just make it so the patented part can be easily separated so that you can still get more support from the countries of the world which are under corporate dictators.

I wouldnt be so sure about a Linux version. The previous game, Apox, was made with Ogre3d, which provides a Linux version and they didnt made a Linux release. Seems that they only used the open source software to make some budget to jump to a commercial engine. Having some experience with Ogre and unigine myself, I dont blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    I call trolling, again, on Phoronix, and with good reason.
    What, no call out on the stereotypical Western bias towards India?

At first this made me less hopeful of seeing a quality Unigine game out of BlueGiant

Screenshots looks Avatar-ish to me.