Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows8 "Secure Boot" UEFI 2.3.1 ban Linux and all other Opensource-OS:

Default Windows8 "Secure Boot" UEFI 2.3.1 ban Linux and all other Opensource-OS:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...1-1334957.html

"Aus der Linux-Community wurde schon angemerkt, dass es für freie Betriebssysteme schwierig sein könnte, signierte Bootloader zu erzeugen."

quick translate: "linux experts in the community point out that no one will get an key to signing a free boot loader for this system"

HELL Microsoft is truely the most evil anti FREE and Anti Open company..

Right in this moment i wish all microsoft employees and company owner would die a painful death.

damn.. i hate this company.

I think the translation is bad. You translate "könnte"→"will" which makes the entire thing sound drastically worse.

at the bottom of that article there's a link to the english version, here it is: http://www.h-online.com/security/new...1-1335246.html in case anyone misses it.

Well... I don´t see any change in their attitude.
    Who the hell needs windows anyway?
    I love them more and more with each version, with each step. Each their step is proof what pieces of *cake* they are.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 09-02-2011 at 01:53 PM.

I don't think this is a concern about Windows, but rather about hardware vendors shipping with secure boot enabled and no way to disable it, so that *only* a digitally signed bootloader (eg the one in the pre-installed OS) could be loaded and run. The h-online article contains a link to an lwn article with more info :

http://lwn.net/Articles/447381/

Don't think anyone is suggesting that this *will* happen, only that it *could* happen.

Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    I think the translation is bad. You translate "könnte"→"will" which makes the entire thing sound drastically worse.
    LOL why should i translate a written text in an Microsoft tropic NOT WORSE?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    http://lwn.net/Articles/447381/
    Don't think anyone is suggesting that this *will* happen, only that it *could* happen.
    even if it *could* happen its the worst story ever!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't think this is a concern about Windows, but rather about hardware vendors shipping with secure boot enabled and no way to disable it, so that *only* a digitally signed bootloader (eg the one in the pre-installed OS) could be loaded and run.
    Why would I want to buy a motherboard that can only run Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    Remember winmodem? Exactly same reason - uneducated. But there is suprise factor: learning.
    People will learn about it at some time and,depending upon their preference, either hate MS more or will consider this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    thats not the point the point is they just buy it and blame linux not to run on there hardware.