Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows8 "Secure Boot" UEFI 2.3.1 ban Linux and all other Opensource-OS:

Am I the only one thinking this will be similar to the NX bit support? An on/off option?

This is even bad for Windows users! Windows8 "Secure Boot" could be configured to only boot the OEM version of Windows. Lost your CD? You have to go through whoever built your machine to get a new one. Windows 9 comes out? Well looks like its only supported with the new version of "secure boot" which this model doesn't support. This is really bad for everyone and only good for M$.

Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    Am I the only one thinking this will be similar to the NX bit support? An on/off option?
    NX bit is supported well by GNU/Linux and many other operating systems. It actually makes sense as a hardware security option.

This is the best thing ever. For the first time in history, giants will have the greatest priority in delivering Coreboot on any platform.

If this comes out, IBM and RedHat will put all their weight behind Coreboot and we'll be freed from all this legacy crap, once and for all!

Bring it, Microsoft!

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    This is the best thing ever. For the first time in history, giants will have the greatest priority in delivering Coreboot on any platform.

If this comes out, IBM and RedHat will put all their weight behind Coreboot and we'll be freed from all this legacy crap, once and for all!

Bring it, Microsoft!
    There may be a push on servers and possibly work stations but you can forget laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by nukem View Post
    NX bit is supported well by GNU/Linux and many other operating systems. It actually makes sense as a hardware security option.
    many distros have it enabled in their kernels and if not, you can enable it in the config and recompile from source. Windows XP SP3 onwards has this feature as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nukem View Post
    There may be a push on servers and possibly work stations but you can forget laptops.
    Then buy such a laptop thru a Linux vendor

Default Heh, no. THIS is the worst story ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    even if it *could* happen its the worst story ever!

"Apple claims all Open Source Projects are infringing on their copyrights and patents. Inter-govermental response has been swift with all ISP's cooperating and providing access to their records.
    Kernel.org, mozilla.org, and Apache have all been seized and those on premises detained and charged with, let's say, altering market forces.

BTW, Nazi zombie robots have landed and are wreaking destruction across all lands... except the area around Cupertino for some strange reason. Mountain View and Redmond are smoking piles of silicon."

Let's have a little perspective here

As always, today's news follows yesterday's Dilbert...

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-09-03/

Default I think they should do that, too.

Why? Because our World (social/commercial/environment) breaks together. To see a nearly healthy world in the IT Section is maybe not good. Then we can shutdown all our pcs go on the street (arange that on our yet working pcs) and go on the street to stop this system worldwide and restart it with other goals and prinziples.

We have to replace our working and money system with one that dont needs to work expondentional expantion and dont rewards unsocial onhealthy unmoralic methods by success.

It does not work anymore we cant replace working people through maschines and dont stop priorotise this so much for income. We have to live democracy, whats that, that anybody can say no, nobody have to say I am forced to work this or I land on the street. Because of this people destroy our earth our econemy and our democracy.

We need a free world that free like Linux is, econemy is only there to serve mankind, not to harm them. We need a moralic flat-rate for anybody, the basic income grant. We need direct democracy. We need to stop people dieing on the street because they basicly starve to death in our rich countrys, they often get catogarized under frozen to death but if you ask a medic he will tell you that there is often (if they dont fell into a lake and have some clothes) not really a difference they cant really diagnose the difference in many cases.

Even some people starve to death in their homes here in germany and some started amok runs in our stasi-"social"-companys.

So but even if that revolution don´t start now in some countrys and the same whats happening in italy, spain, greece and maybe in some other kind not that goal-oriented in France and UK, the day will come, it will help us in the it-business to see clearly which companys are supporting enslavement and depression of people. An open war is better than this cold war we did see in the past.

I will not run amok But as longer this goes the bigger the counter-movement will be. I hope it will not end in a civil war, but I am not shure that it will not happen. If we see to north afrika, thats maybe the only thing that can work.

As example there are people in Berlin that tried to place tents to the alexander place. The police did stopp them, so we are here not allowed to demonstrate with tents they are forbidden by the authorities, so there are 3 ways this can go. 1. in germany its impossible to make a powerful demonstration, or we sit down in mass and let us hit defensles with weapons from police (like in spain happenend) or 3. we fight back.

So that here is no demonstration is not that here are all happy and nobody wants to demonstrate its the hard procedure our police fights against that. So where is the difference between germany and old east-germeny? They did not kill somebody, but I think on demonstrations the east-germany police did not shoot people, too.

I only say we live in threatened times, our freedom and democracy structures are under heavy fire, so seeing that more clearly big big attacks like this on or freedom hopefully creates some powerful counter movements. And frees us from our enslavery.