Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Windows8 "Secure Boot" UEFI 2.3.1 ban Linux and all other Opensource-OS:

Sorry for the bad english in my last comment. But I think who want to understand that is able to

Basicly I wanted to say that it is maybe better to have a clear enemy, in the bush junior president time, all non-americans could hate america with full patience ( with knowing that there are a few people who arent dumb as straw ).

So we can hate and fight Microsoft maybe some other companys which dont fight that. And like somebody said, maybe with that move coreboot gets kickstartet. You all say not for desktop-boards, in fact there are some desktop boards today who are suppported by coreboot, even a zacate board from asrock.

And if we can maybe think of the same market share than macosx has worldwide of linux-desktop, and 1 or 2 mainboard companys only choose to use linuxbios they sell noticable more boards because of that. And additionaly they save some cost. So go ahead, I see the same thing by the nvidia guys btw, because they would loose some bigger income in the long run, if they only would have their blob, because the better the open ati driver gets the more market share they would loose under linux and linux is expanding also very heavily.

But we reward them for being asocial with only giving out this blob. (yes yes some of you like that thing, so ok, but why is then nouvou needed) but ok only a side-note, because I cannot force nouvou developers to slow down or stop developing their driver.

Sadly Nvidia did not sue them, then it would be a clear thing and we would stand (nearly) united against them till they suffer or die like SCO. (but on the other site the grafics card market is so small that killing them would create at least for some time a monopoly. But maybe there would be finaly again some space for more companys to go in that market

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    As always, today's news follows yesterday's Dilbert...

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-09-03/
    lol... a life span of a optimist is really short.

Quote Originally Posted by nukem View Post
    This is even bad for Windows users! Windows8 "Secure Boot" could be configured to only boot the OEM version of Windows. Lost your CD? You have to go through whoever built your machine to get a new one. Windows 9 comes out? Well looks like its only supported with the new version of "secure boot" which this model doesn't support. This is really bad for everyone and only good for M$.
    I could just imagine this will be like windows vista was to windows 7. Or windows ME to windows 2000. Or windows 98 to windows 95. M$ Releases their test software first, then the new release (windows 9) will have all the fixes. If you look at it in another way, Sony have been trying to lock people out from installing their own OS to their PS3 for some time. Not to mention certain phone companies...

Quote Originally Posted by markd View Post
    I believe this is more a threat to consumer products - especially for Apple users (since Apple tend to lock down things where they can).
    In the server and workstation market linux/bsd/*nix support is often a requirement for paying customers and I bet no vendor wants to upset those
    Which brings me to this. I agree here that it will just create another open source method of breaking such problematic devices. Best to avoid such locked down boards to begin with. What I don't like is that motherboards will sell it as a "feature", when it was perfectly good without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    lol... a life span of a optimist is really short.
    I'm an optimist. I thought that changing my bios on my 4870x2 would improve speed. It's now currently a paperweight.

Quote Originally Posted by b15hop View Post
    I'm an optimist. I thought that changing my bios on my 4870x2 would improve speed. It's now currently a paperweight.
    you can fix that with blind re-flashing the bios.

i know one he do crash his card and he fix it in blind reflash the bios.

you can fix that with blind re-flashing the bios.

i know one he do crash his card and he fix it in blind reflash the bios.
    I have two cards installed now. Seems like winflash doesn't like x64, which wasn't a problem before... =S I'll just boot a dos prompt.

@Bridgman,
    I guess I'll have to buy a MacBook to run Linux then. If anything, that will be the largest kick in the nuts for Microsoft; millions of Linux users buying into Apple PC's.

Optimist, you were saying?

LOL why should i translate a written text in an Microsoft tropic NOT WORSE?
    Ehh? What does your sentence even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I guess I'll have to buy a MacBook to run Linux then. If anything, that will be the largest kick in the nuts for Microsoft; millions of Linux users buying into Apple PC's.
    Perhaps some of those 30 million Linux users will buy second-hand computers that would otherwise be wasted away because Windows has become slow over the years. Would also be good for the environment when those computers get re-used. Unlike Win 7, we at Linux do not need 4GB of RAM plus a quad-core for the OS to run smooth. We also do not need 1TB harddisks for a full install.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    Perhaps some of those 30 million Linux users will buy second-hand computers that would otherwise be wasted away because Windows has become slow over the years. Would also be good for the environment when those computers get re-used. Unlike Win 7, we at Linux do not need 4GB of RAM plus a quad-core for the OS to run smooth. We also do not need 1TB harddisks for a full install.
    Two problems:
    1. Those old computer will eventualy break;
    2. Future old computers will be Windows 8, or newer, ones.

I for one do buy the latest and almost greatest hardware, just so that I can keep my computer working for 6+ years, so yeah; I would like new hardware to run Coreboot.

The funny thing is that not only will there be a demand for Coreboot computers, but also we can get rid of the ACPI shit that happened to break battery life on Linux portables.

It's also not that hard to get all laptops working; almost all have the same chipsets as PC, for which you can swap physical Coreboot BIOSes and then just hack a little on the laptops to get the quirks out. Imagine kernel developpers taking Linux to newer hights by making a real fucking propper OS implementation.

And it's not as if Samsung wouldn't support this with their ARM CPU's, because once there is a mentality for going all the way down (no turtles), the Samsung kernel support might as well cgo there. (Note that Samsung is upstream supporting Linux with their ARM CPU's now and also sponsoring Enlightenment). PS: Samsung makes laptops too!

ARM based laptops and PC's would be kickass...those chips perform quite well for the low power they use. Bet there'll be speedy new ARM chips to power these machines...with Linux on top!

There should be mobos that are "Designed for Coreboot" from the ground up, then make this crap all a non-issue