Just an update on what i've got so far.
After several uninstalls/installs with few improvements... i did it one more time for the 8.42.3 drivers, following the openSUSE_ATI_HOWTO "hard way".
But this time i did everything without X, using "init 3" at boot, and rebooting after "cleaning" the previous drivers, after the "aticonfig" command and finally after configuring sax2.
And i've got a lot of improvements:
1. The info i get from glxinfo and fglrxinfo is the same as before.
2. fgl_glxgears runs fine now
3. no desktop corruption (watermark issue) so far (crosses fingers)
4. Warsow, Nexuiz, Tremulous and the ETQW.demo all run fine
5. Google earth runs fine.
1. amd catalyst control center still refuses to run:
2. sax2 still "freezes" when exiting, but this only happens if i start it from init 3... and it doesn't really freeze either, i think it just gets the wrong monitor/card parameters on exit, because i can still type reboot->enter and it works... i can even see a green "blur" while it "works" to reboot.
KTPORTLin:/home/kmz # amdcccle
amdcccle: xcb_xlib.c:52: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
Haven't tested for suspend to ram/disk ou powerplay settings (Using a X700 mobile here).
Regarding compiz-fusion... i'm still confused a bit about compiz/compiz.fusion/beryl really are or do, or if i just need one etc etc... either way, i installed compiz-fusion 0.6 and followed these instructions here to get it to work, using aiglx.
It runs fine... the first time. Performance is acceptable i guess, but it could be smother. Resizing windows is very slow... but now i've confirmed it is the same without even using compiz.
After rebooting i get a problem with windows decorations - no close/maximize/minimize buttons. There must be some problem with the windows decorator setting.. kde ou emerald. Still looking for info on that, but i shouldn't be a driver problem.