Thread: Qt Is Likely To Use The V8 JavaScript Engine

Default Qt Is Likely To Use The V8 JavaScript Engine

Phoronix: Qt Is Likely To Use The V8 JavaScript Engine

It looks like with Qt 5.0, V8 will become the JavaScript Engine for the Qt tool-kit as well as for Qt Script and Qt Quick...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTg3OA

I know this has been in the works for a while. Good stuff. The only downside to v8 versus mozilla's engine is they tend to be a bit more conservative about features. v8 doesn't have all the fancy JavaScript 2 stuff like the nice Python-like iterators and such. Decent ES5 support though so I can't complain. It'll be a step up from the current javascriptcore.

I've gotta say I'm more looking forward to the updated Qt-webkit in Qt 4.8 than I am to the v8 engine. The current Qt-webkit is really showing it's age. (It was forked from mainline Webkit years ago and never updated.)

You finally mentioned me after all the news submits I did :-) thank you!

Qt 5 is not likely to use V8, Qt 5 is already using V8

It was announced at the Qt Contributor Summit that they will fork V8 for Qt 5. QtWebKit still uses JavaScriptCore at the moment, QML/QtQuick already uses V8 in the Qt5 repositories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikipou View Post
    Qt 5 is not likely to use V8, Qt 5 is already using V8

It was announced at the Qt Contributor Summit that they will fork V8 for Qt 5. QtWebKit still uses JavaScriptCore at the moment, QML/QtQuick already uses V8 in the Qt5 repositories.
    A blog post about that on Qt labs would have been nice...

Default I have seen the future

While V8 is fast, Chromium crashes with wild abandon on my 32-bit installations of Kubuntu and with annoying frequency on the 64's. Rekonq, which uses WebKit, but a different JS engine I believe, is a rock. Throw multiple windows with multiple tabs all loading at once its way and it just purrs along.

Of course, making it all better on Chromium is a cutesy, Star Trek-inspired, "He's dead, Jim" failure alert. I wonder if that will become par for the course for KDE users?
    Last edited by Rambo Tribble; 09-07-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo Tribble View Post
    While V8 is fast, Chromium crashes with wild abandon on my 32-bit installations of Kubuntu and with annoying frequency on the 64's.
    I've seen JavaScript-heavy (used for auto-updating the content etc.) pages crash in Chromium if you leave them open for several days, but not all that often. (But I don't use Chromium much—it's not ready for the workload I throw at Firefox...)