Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: A Happy Four Years To An Open-Source ATI/AMD

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dimko View Post
    I think somewhere on the Phoronix it was mentioned, that AMD doesn't care about performance of these cards on OSS driver.
    That's not true at all. What may have been said was that performance was considered less important than getting the cards (and newer hardware) to actually work. And that it was unlikely the OSS drivers would get more than 80% or so of the performance of the proprietary drivers, due to lack of manpower and a desire to keep the drivers relatively simple and maintainable. But they do care about getting the drivers to perform at a decent level. It just is taking a while to get them to that point.

    There are lots of reasons to grab an NVidia card or even to use fglrx with ATI cards, but you can't just say AMD "doesn't care."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,337

    Default

    I'm sure they'd welcome an Oprofile run of your favorite slow-on-OSS-drivers app

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Congrats and a big thank you to AMD!

    Although I am still no intel these days, I am looking forward buying an AMD Trinity based laptop when as soon as its available.

    - Clemens

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dimko View Post
    So yeah, I don't care about OSS driver, that doesn't compete with binary one.
    With AMD you at least have a choice, and the company even pays developers to make that choice as useable as possible.
    With Nvidia, well, I could tell you a long story about old systems cauding huge problems after upgrades, because the proprietary nvidia drivers were legacy and not updated frequently anymore. The nouveau guys made the situation far more pleasant (thanks!), however AMD's open drivers are better in almost every regard.

    However, when it comes to consumer hardware I realize that it often ends up with fanboy flamewars, so peace in earth ^^

    - Clemens

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Indeed, thanks for the work, I also appreciate hugely to be able to use a composited desktop fully on the OSS layer.
    Checking fdo git browser, there seems to be little activity on the AMD front on either drm, mesa or the ati driver. I wonder what could be cooking...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rvdboom View Post
    Checking fdo git browser, there seems to be little activity on the AMD front on either drm, mesa or the ati driver. I wonder what could be cooking...
    Mostly getting our heads around the next generation of hardware, but also looking into OpenCL, memory management and video acceleration.

    We'll talk about OpenCL and memory management plans at XDC.
    Last edited by bridgman; 09-08-2011 at 01:36 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rvdboom View Post
    Indeed, thanks for the work, I also appreciate hugely to be able to use a composited desktop fully on the OSS layer.
    Checking fdo git browser, there seems to be little activity on the AMD front on either drm, mesa or the ati driver. I wonder what could be cooking...
    Especially when the proprietary driver runs like crap with composted desktop, if it works at all.

    Trying out the proprietary driver on Fedora 15 ended me up with a broken Gnome-shell and laggy game experience with Starcraft 2 to go with the 7% boost in framerates it gave me during the non-lagged parts of the game.


    AMD's open source efforts are their saving grace when it comes to Linux-land.
    Last edited by drag; 09-08-2011 at 01:45 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    Especially when the proprietary driver runs like crap with composted desktop, if it works at all.

    Trying out the proprietary driver on Fedora 15 ended me up with a broken Gnome-shell and laggy game experience with Starcraft 2 to go with the 7% boost in framerates it gave me during the non-lagged parts of the game.


    AMD's open source efforts are their saving grace when it comes to Linux-land.
    Ah yes. I have that same issue with gnome-shell. The thing is, it's only gnome-shell (for me) that causes these problems with the catalyst driver. KDE, gnome2 with compiz both work fine. I blame gnome-shell...perhaps wrongly....otherwise I'm kinda happy with the proprietary driver. I wish it supported KMS and stuff, but that's not yet a must-have. In my opinion, the open source drivers are really only ok right now. They work, but not very well for anything in particular. I want that to change, as I'd prefer using OSS drivers if it made sense for me to.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Mostly getting our heads around the next generation of hardware, but also looking into OpenCL, memory management and video acceleration.

    We'll talk about OpenCL and memory management plans at XDC.
    Good, OpenCL, and video acceleration are some of my primary concerns of video drivers in linux. FPS in games matter too, of course, but the others for me are probably going to be more important, especially in the future.
    I do appreciate your guy's work at AMD, and I hope you keep at it, even if I don't currently run the OSS driver, I would like to be persuaded to.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lienmeat View Post
    Ah yes. I have that same issue with gnome-shell. The thing is, it's only gnome-shell (for me) that causes these problems with the catalyst driver. KDE, gnome2 with compiz both work fine. I blame gnome-shell...perhaps wrongly....otherwise I'm kinda happy with the proprietary driver.
    When it works fine with open source Intel, open source ATI, open source Nvidia, closed source Nvidia, but not closed source ATI signs point to not being Gnome-shell.

    I wish it supported KMS and stuff, but that's not yet a must-have. In my opinion, the open source drivers are really only ok right now. They work, but not very well for anything in particular. I want that to change, as I'd prefer using OSS drivers if it made sense for me to.
    For the games I play ATI proprietary drivers so far have been worse then the open source ones. I think what Bridgeman and others say about spending a lot of time on optimizing specific applications is probably correct. Once you stray outside the set of applications they put a lot of effort on then the proprietary driver falls flat. You start running into bugs and poor performance.

    I can live with 80% performance if OSS folks optimize for general case, rather then specific case. That way it works as well for everything.. including stuff they never tested or optimized for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •