Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: That Piece Of Crap Hewlett-Packard Ad

Mark my words, HP is now a crappy company running by a crappy bitch CEO, it is going to fall very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    +1

or a voluntary donation system via Paypal (if not already set up)

Ads should be small and unobtrusive plus being silent (no sound or flashing ads) plus being easy to close. Doesn't Phoronix work closely with the ad delivery companies in setting the content to be delivered as well as screening out malicious ads?
    You can already donate through PayPal and that's what I am doing, but it's a bit hidden tbh. Michael, set up a more visible donation site!

I use adblock, noscript, flashblock and greasemonkey for flavour.

/Ad-less since 1969

I don't click on ads anyway, so why shouldn't I use Ad Block Plus??? I'll keep using it while I can, and too bad for anyone that thinks they'll stop me except with a requirement to log in after paying.

I completely agree with "adblockplususer".
    Using adblock+noscript to improve firefox speed at ratio 100x. This is not joke.
    I once had 150 browser tabs opened on athlon 2200 machine in firefox 2.0, startup time was around 30 seconds.
    Without adblock its over 15 minutes.

Please donīt call it scum as scum are Ads.
    Because of quality of information you give, I have Adblock enabled on your site, to allow Ad scum for your profit.
    I also gave a simple idea - to place a non-intrusive "please disable adblock to support this site" text underneath the actual ads - so it is visible if ads are removed. Please do not make it any blinking or similar, just plain normal text.
    This will encourage those who really appreciate your time to disable the ad blocking software in sane way.
    Going any other way will result in reduction of popularity.
    Please respect other people too. Thanks.

I don't mind the ads as long as they are well placed (preferably at top and bottom of the pages) and not very big. NO Flash ads, please...and in return I'll gladly add Phoronix to Adblock's whitelist

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I don't mind the ads as long as they are well placed (preferably at top and bottom of the pages) and not very big. NO Flash ads, please...and in return I'll gladly add Phoronix to Adblock's whitelist
    I don't think Michael has that much control over the ad system that he can control the size of them or stop Flash-based ads (and I don't think the ads would pay as much without being able to be flashy and obtrusive). That's what Flashblock (or just running your browser without Flash) is for.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    I don't think Michael has that much control over the ad system that he can control the size of them or stop Flash-based ads (and I don't think the ads would pay as much without being able to be flashy and obtrusive). That's what Flashblock (or just running your browser without Flash) is for.
    Exactly. He gets his ads through syndication through IDG Network, which is a modern, evil evolution of a WebRing from the 90's. IDG brings lots of advertisers to him, but he has to accept their fairly liberal policy on what type of ads are permitted to be shown.

I want Michael to be able to continue to afford his crazy lifestyle (moving around all the time, buying tons of hardware, drinking expensive German beer, etc) as much as the next guy, but sometimes I think if you try too hard to make every last red cent you can out of a business, you end up screwing over customers and ruining your reputation, and you do worse in the end. This is one of those cases, I think: make less money in the short term by having advertisers pay less to host non-obtrusive ads, but in the long term, you will win in terms of customer goodwill. I definitely get that kind of vibe from LWN.net, but they write on a distinctly different topic than Phoronix (most of the time), so there's room for both sites to coexist.

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Exactly. He gets his ads through syndication through IDG Network, which is a modern, evil evolution of a WebRing from the 90's. IDG brings lots of advertisers to him, but he has to accept their fairly liberal policy on what type of ads are permitted to be shown.

I want Michael to be able to continue to afford his crazy lifestyle (moving around all the time, buying tons of hardware, drinking expensive German beer, etc) as much as the next guy, but sometimes I think if you try too hard to make every last red cent you can out of a business, you end up screwing over customers and ruining your reputation, and you do worse in the end. This is one of those cases, I think: make less money in the short term by having advertisers pay less to host non-obtrusive ads, but in the long term, you will win in terms of customer goodwill. I definitely get that kind of vibe from LWN.net, but they write on a distinctly different topic than Phoronix (most of the time), so there's room for both sites to coexist.
    I don't think that's the point, allquixotic. There are two problems here:

1. Many site owners believe that their users owe them something (this site's owner acts the same way). It's the other way around, a site thrives on its users. No users, and it will die.
    2. Some people believe that you should turn off adblock if you like some site. That's not going to help unless you think money grows on trees. Money on the Net is earned because people click on stuff AND subsequently spend money. I can turn off adblock and click on ads all day, but I have never bought something on the Internet which was linked to me directly through an ad or an affiliation link. If I do get an affiliation link, I remove the affiliated part because I don't believe the person who linked me should be getting any money out of it. It's a poisoned culture.

I myself am a site owner. Admittedly, it's not a tenth as big as phoronix, but it has its fair share of users. I don't have any ads, and I ask people to donate. I don't get enough donations each month to cover the costs, but as the vps I'm hosted on costs practically nothing (less than 30 usd a month), it's no biggie.

The problem is that people pay too much for hosting and do not use their resources wisely. Practicularily in the US, VPSs are way too expensive. You can get a dedicated server in Germany for US VPS prices. There's no reason for these prices, other than to pseudo-justify having to place obnoxious ads (actually, all ads are obnoxious) on the site and pretty much treat your users like mindless sheep.

I don't care about Michael's lifestyle, that's his thing and has nothing to do with this site. To be honest, I don't care the least bit about benchmarking, either. I only come here to read news about FOSS, and I assume that if this site becomes too much of a hassle to use and reports too much about Macrap or Windows, a better, free (as in free of ads) alternative will arise, and it will be for the better. This is the good part about this world.
    Last edited by susikala; 09-15-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Default I'll still use my ad-block plus

I think this site is great so I supported it by donating some money. It wasn't that easy, there's no obvious donate button on the front page or anything ( would that be too hard ? ).
    I will not however disable adblock and I'm not really interested in phoronix plus for now.
    My suggestion Michael would be to just put the donate button where people can see it and remind people once in a while to give some $ if they like the site. Even if people donate 2 $ it's still something ....
    Also posting direct links to products on Amazon or Newegg should help.