Thread: OpenIndiana 151a Released; One Year Anniversary

Default OpenIndiana 151a Released; One Year Anniversary

Phoronix: OpenIndiana 151a Released; One Year Anniversary

To mark the one year anniversary of the creation of OpenIndiana, there's a new OpenIndiana release. OpenIndiana 151a is this new release that is timed one year after this OpenSolaris fork arrived following the fallout from Oracle killing off OpenSolaris and Solaris development in the open...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTkwNg

Now that Openindiana (aka the newer and "free"er Opensolaris) is un-shackled from oracle, is there an easy way to just
    play Music and watch DVD movies,... ?-specifically for the OpenIndiana desktop. ?
    (assuming you have all the right kinda-hardware/drivers, like nvidia,... ) and, as a "Desktop", i was hoping OpenIndiana would provide a little more of a one stop repo/solution/instructions for quickly installing. for example, VLC ? for atleast the first time user.
    Needless, I like where Openindiana are heading, and I hope they have greater success.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by scjet View Post
    Now that Openindiana (aka the newer and "free"er Opensolaris) is un-shackled from oracle, is there an easy way to just
    play Music and watch DVD movies,... ?-specifically for the OpenIndiana desktop. ?
    (assuming you have all the right kinda-hardware/drivers, like nvidia,... ) and, as a "Desktop", i was hoping OpenIndiana would provide a little more of a one stop repo/solution/instructions for quickly installing. for example, VLC ? for atleast the first time user.
    Needless, I like where Openindiana are heading, and I hope they have greater success.
    Yeah ... there is a SFW repository which contains "FreeWare" ... and a "SFW encumbered" repository for Freeware that might not be legal/licensed in your country

Solaris worked pretty good with kde3 on Sun ultrasparcs back in times. Xorg, 1280 res, sound, some 2d acceleration, videoplayback(via mplayer if I remember correctly), konqueror, javac etc.