Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: NVIDIA Has A New "Long-Lived" Linux Driver

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,629

    Default NVIDIA Has A New "Long-Lived" Linux Driver

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Has A New "Long-Lived" Linux Driver

    NVIDIA has created a new branch of their proprietary Linux graphics driver. This new driver is for the "long-lived" series. The purpose of this series is to provide just bug-fixes and other minor updates for non-legacy hardware. In other words, like their legacy drivers where they just receive minor updates, but for those just wanting these fixes for newer hardware while not exposing any new functionality...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTkxOA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Great idea, system admins will love it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Desktop users will love it.
    This means hardware will have all dangerous or unstable features excluded.

    I seriously question system admins using nvidia driver or nvidia hardware, unless its tesla.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    78

    Default

    I guess cards will still overheat from driver swapping, so I could care less.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    I seriously question system admins using nvidia driver or nvidia hardware, unless its tesla.
    Sysadmins manage workstations too you know?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Desktop users will love it.
    This means hardware will have all dangerous or unstable features excluded.

    I seriously question system admins using nvidia driver or nvidia hardware, unless its tesla.
    I seriously question "sys admins" that purchase on "potential" vs proven track record. There are cards being dropped from xorg that are in the same generation that nv still supports.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    I seriously question "sys admins" that purchase on "potential" vs proven track record. There are cards being dropped from xorg that are in the same generation that nv still supports.
    nv has been deprecated for a while and has been dropped since Xorg 10.0 release so then in this case either nouveau or vesa will be the only options for such cards that fall thru the cracks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arctic circle, Finland
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Not sure why is this on open source NVIDIA linux area. Isn't those drivers still closed source binaries? Or did I miss something.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •