Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Increasing Size Of The Linux Kernel

Default The Increasing Size Of The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: The Increasing Size Of The Linux Kernel

Floating around the Linux kernel mailing list information is some new data about the evolution of the Linux kernel's size. Obviously, it's getting larger...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxNDg

I'm really not certain Phoronix is allowed to claim copyright on an image that someone else made......... let alone reserve their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by coder543 View Post
    I'm really not certain Phoronix is allowed to claim copyright on an image that someone else made......... let alone reserve their rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix
    His findings can be found on the mailing list and the graph is on his blog (the GNUplot result is also embedded below for quick reference).
    I see no copyright issue. Link, author, reference to image, no prohibition of image usage for quick ref.

------------

Modulize!
    Stable API would be great from user perspective, now apparently from that of driver developer.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 11-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    ------------

Modulize!
    Did you click on the image?

Look at this: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a5o74yea

If you click on the embedded image, it clearly says Copyright Phoronix, all rights are reserved... Also, the huge watermark that incidetally hinders perception is also an infringement on copyright, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    If you click on the embedded image, it clearly says Copyright Phoronix, all rights are reserved... Also, the huge watermark that incidetally hinders perception is also an infringement on copyright, IMHO.
    Exactly. I tried to post a link to a screenshot highlighting those parts, but it needed moderation approval or something...

Link: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a5o74yea

Hey! it worked that time. Look and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by coder543 View Post
    Did you click on the image?

Look at this: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a5o74yea
    Watermark is set for all phoronix-hosted images, for example all AMD marketing slides have phoronix copyright on them too.
    Technical limitation/shortcomming - script handles all phoronix-hosted images, whether work of Michael or quick-references, in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Watermark is set for all phoronix-hosted images, for example all AMD marketing slides have phoronix copyright on them too.
    Technical limitation/shortcomming - script handles all phoronix-hosted images, whether work of Michael or quick-references, in the same way.
    I don't think that the fact that it is automatic makes it okay. Brings into question Phoronix's tendency to do that, actually. I mean, if they don't respect the copyright of others, how dare they slap their own copyright on images?

Doesn't matter. It's still copyright infringement. Illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    I don't think that the fact that it is automatic makes it okay. Brings into question Phoronix's tendency to do that, actually. I mean, if they don't respect the copyright of others, how dare they slap their own copyright on images?
    I fully agree. Automation is not a defense in this case. He knew it would slap the copyrights onto that image by posting it like that. Better a hotlinked image than one with illegal copyright claims. I love Phoronix, but this has got to stop. I'm glad crazycheese brought it to my attention that this is more widespread than I thought it was. I dislike watermarking as much as the next guy, it shouldn't be done on images that aren't your own, not to mention when they interfere with the image itself.