Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: This Is What Started AMD's Open-Source Strategy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,638

    Default This Is What Started AMD's Open-Source Strategy

    Phoronix: This Is What Started AMD's Open-Source Strategy

    While AMD's open-source strategy was announced on Phoronix on 7 September 2007, it was on 17 September of the same year that the Novell/SUSE developers did their first public release of their xf86-video-radeonhd driver. This was the X.Org driver created by the Novell Linux engineers in months prior for R500 and R600 GPUs. Here is some special reading -- a letter that was volleyed from Novell to AMD that kicked off this entire process -- to celebrate what would have been the fourth birthday of this open-source Linux driver.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16435

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Ok, now forward that email to nvidia.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    343

    Default

    now make a good an fast drivers so i can play quake live on 4850 on open drivers... now it is 60 fps, but screen is choppy.

    i can use my computer as beta test machine

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,124

    Default

    All I would like is power management, especially for my E-350-based notebook...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    All I would like is power management, especially for my E-350-based notebook...
    active power management isn't the problem its the default setting that its the problem.

    "high" mode as a default hurt the most people

    KDE for example can turn of 3D desktop if a full screen game starts why not turn the power management profile to high if a full screen game starts ?

    or yes in my point of view it makes no sense to dev a open source driver but not the automatic power management.

    in real you can't only use passive cooled cards for the open source driver but there is no passive cooled notebook at all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    active power management isn't the problem its the default setting that its the problem.
    You're wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    "high" mode as a default hurt the most people
    Yeah, but dynpm/low are too buggy to be default, so there's nothing we can do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    KDE for example can turn of 3D desktop if a full screen game starts why not turn the power management profile to high if a full screen game starts ?
    That's what dynpm will do in the future (clock dependend on the workload). It's not really working yet. And low has problems even on the desktop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    or yes in my point of view it makes no sense to dev a open source driver but not the automatic power management.
    Power Management is hard to do but I agree its priority should be higher than it is right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    in real you can't only use passive cooled cards for the open source driver but there is no passive cooled notebook at all.
    Not sure if serious...? Power management is important because of the power consumption. The fan in my subnotebook is quiet enough (totally different story with my desktop, powered by a 6870).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    You're wrong.
    i think you are just to fast in your claiming. and your arguments flow your claiming do not cover your claim.

    but read what you give us as a argument.

    "Yeah, but dynpm/low are too buggy to be default, so there's nothing we can do."

    you claim that i claim that dynpm/low should be the default but in reality this is only in your imagination.
    your fight against your own imagination not against my points of view.
    because there is also dynpm/mid and this is not buggy but mid isn't default high is default.

    and now explain me why mid is not default??

    you can't explain?


    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Not sure if serious...? Power management is important because of the power consumption. The fan in my subnotebook is quiet enough (totally different story with my desktop, powered by a 6870).
    show me a passive cooled amd based notebook and i will buy it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,434

    Default

    The drivers default to "default" because that is the only thing that runs reliably on all systems so far.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The drivers default to "default" because that is the only thing that runs reliably on all systems so far.
    runs NOT .... have you ever read the phoronix forum especially the radeon opensource part of the forum?

    i think you don't read the radeon open source part of the forum because if so you would never ever claim that the default run on all systems.

    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...70-Overheating

    or maybe you are blind or just a ignorance person.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The drivers default to "default" because that is the only thing that runs reliably on all systems so far.
    Lets say your claim is true.
    Then what decides the "default profile"?
    The BIOS that lacks it?
    Some non-existing user setting?
    Hardware defined?
    Basiacally what needs to be done is to:
    1. Set low or medium as default profile
    2. Fix dynpm!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •