Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is What Started AMD's Open-Source Strategy

You can put the following in your Xsetup or something comparable:

echo profile > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
    echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

I put it into kdm's Xsetup, for example.

And I use the Debian package sysfsutils.

In /etc/sysfs.conf I have
    Code:
    module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy = powersave

class/drm/card0/device/power_method = profile
    class/drm/card0/device/power_profile = low

owner class/drm/card0/device/power_method = root:video
    owner class/drm/card0/device/power_profile = root:video
    mode class/drm/card0/device/power_method = 0660
    mode class/drm/card0/device/power_profile = 0660
    Specs: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 1GiB with git r600g on Debian Wheezy [testing]. I have a button in my Xfce Panel to toggle between Low and High. After a little gaming, switching down to Low yields a noticeable difference in fan noise, and the GPU temperature drops to 39 C or so (today it's down to 34 C).

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    you claim that i claim that dynpm/low should be the default but in reality this is only in your imagination.
    your fight against your own imagination not against my points of view.
    because there is also dynpm/mid and this is not buggy but mid isn't default high is default.

and now explain me why mid is not default??

you can't explain?
    Okay so the fact that you're mentioning "dynpm/mid" shows that you have no idea whatsoever what dynpm is. Because it has nothing to do with the profiles. Furthermore, a lot of chips, like the E-350, don't even have a mid-profile. And finally, the ones that do (e.g. my HD 6870) still have problems with profile mid, although less than with low. If there is even one user that has problems with non-default (non-high), you can't make it the default.

@bridgman: don't waste your energy in arguing with Q. It's hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    If there is even one user that has problems with non-default (non-high), you can't make it the default.
    This is pure evil cynicisms because you county every single user on the non-high side but you don't count any user with problems with high.
    this kind of autism just hurt people.

without cynic autism you have to do a assessment.

Okay so the fact that you're mentioning "dynpm/mid" shows that you have no idea whatsoever what dynpm is..
    it maybe crashes your brain but i know what it is dynpm is the automatic version without using any profile.
    but "mid" makes clear i do not mean the automatic version.

you can claim me to write stuff wrong but sorry i know what is going one.

Because it has nothing to do with the profiles.
    sure it has something do do with the profiles because the dynpm switches automatically the profiles.

And finally, the ones that do (e.g. my HD 6870) still have problems with profile mid, although less than with low.
    what is the problem with mid on your system ?

@bridgman: don't waste your energy in arguing with Q. It's hopeless
    i think its hopeless to arguing to every one in the way that everyone can not understand why there is no working dynpm as default.

without dynpm you just have a broken product that produces pollution

I'm curious now, what's broken with low or mid profiles in some cards?

sorry i can't click on this link to the source of the claims.

do i have to believe your fairy tale ?
    Q, you either believe him or you don't. If you think he's lying about the problems, then even if he gave you a link you'd just think he faked that discussion or told agd5f to make up that log. If you don't think he's lying, then why not just take him at his word and if you really want to look into the problems yourself then do the search for it rather than making it sound like you think he's lying?

Lightbulb

This is pure evil cynicisms because you county every single user on the non-high side but you don't count any user with problems with high.
    this kind of autism just hurt people.

without cynic autism you have to do a assessment.

it maybe crashes your brain but i know what it is dynpm is the automatic version without using any profile.

you can claim me to write stuff wrong but sorry i know what is going one.

sure it has something do do with the profiles because the dynpm switches automatically the profiles.

what is the problem with mid on your system ?

i think its hopeless to arguing to every one in the way that everyone can not understand why there is no working dynpm as default.

+1
    i also think power managment is very importand
    but i cant feel it on my 4850 with accelero s1 and simple 12cm fan on 5v it can cool even 100% stress card to 55*C

the only good thing is, on window my pc is noising high pitch sound, depends on screen picture, and mouse movment, on linux this doesnt appear

cmon, this year concentrate on power management, lets make it milestone
    next january-june add 3d speed.

focus only at one thing and make it perfect

yea i know, i never made drivers, but i know how to code simple applications, so i play smartass, but cmon, its very important for laptopusers and stockcooling systems

This is starting to make my brain hurt, now. Do you want the dynamically switching PM, or not? It sounds to me like not. For example, earlier you wrote:

you claim that i claim that dynpm/low should be the default but in reality this is only in your imagination.
    your fight against your own imagination not against my points of view.
    because there is also dynpm/mid and this is not buggy but mid isn't default high is default.

and now explain me why mid is not default??

you can't explain?
    And then later you write:

Now, I absolutely agree that dynpm needs to be fixed. It needs to be turned on by default. That needs to happen, and the sooner the better.

What doesn't need to happen is changing the default to the MID profile. That's going to cause nothing but problems, for reasons that have been gone over again and again. It wouldn't even affect a lot of cards, which don't even have a mid-profile, and Bridgman has said it causes problems on others. So what you are really asking for is to change a setting for your convenience (since you can already set it manually) that will hurt other people and keep them from being able to use the drivers at all. Minor inconveniences are much better than major ones.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadDemon View Post
    is possible, to "force" system to change to mid/low after system is loaded?
    when reboot, go back to default?
    Here's a nice little blog post about how you can write a little shell script to force the profile change and integrate it into systemd to run during boot. The profile setting isn't saved by the driver, so it will always reset the next time you boot until the script runs again.

http://tirdc.livejournal.com/28471.html

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Here's a nice little blog post about how you can write a little shell script to force the profile change and integrate it into systemd to run during boot. The profile setting isn't saved by the driver, so it will always reset the next time you boot until the script runs again.

http://tirdc.livejournal.com/28471.html
    I dont want to mess with system by myself, and i dont need it NOW, my card is working good, but too slow in 3d.
    my sisters laptop gpu is nvidia, so i dont care. radeon power management wont fix that