Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Wayland Reference Code Being Re-Licensed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,081

    Default Wayland Reference Code Being Re-Licensed

    Phoronix: Wayland Reference Code Being Re-Licensed

    A number of months ago I wrote about plans for

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTkyNQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Kristian is also working on other stuff as it seems


    link


    login/session manager?????

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    589

    Default

    I wished it had gone to LGPL I feel this might have encouraged more companies to give back to the project

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    I wished it had gone to LGPL I feel this might have encouraged more companies to give back to the project
    LGPL would effectively end any chance of BSDs, Solaris, etc. adopting Wayland.
    Xorg is under MIT license since it exists and nobody has any problems giving developed code back. Wayland is the successor to Xorg and to get the same adoption rate, the same legal framework should be used.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    LGPL would effectively end any chance of BSDs, Solaris, etc. adopting Wayland.
    Xorg is under MIT license since it exists and nobody has any problems giving developed code back. Wayland is the successor to Xorg and to get the same adoption rate, the same legal framework should be used.
    I think they might have issues if it were GPL but not LGPL - Wayland is in user space - if these OS's didn't allow for LGPL they wouldn't be able to have Gnome or KDE included with them

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    I think they might have issues if it were GPL but not LGPL - Wayland is in user space - if these OS's didn't allow for LGPL they wouldn't be able to have Gnome or KDE included with them
    This has nothing to do with ability. The BSDs simply do not like copyleft licenses, especially when being part of the core OS. Heck,with Wayland under MITL there might even a remote chance that Android adopts it in the far future (granted that is a stretch).

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    This has nothing to do with ability. The BSDs simply do not like copyleft licenses, especially when being part of the core OS. Heck,with Wayland under MITL there might even a remote chance that Android adopts it in the far future (granted that is a stretch).
    I bet nobody from Wayland does even care about bsd and if they like something or not. The same like with systemd - they're made with Linux in mind and for Linux.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Wayland is not a successor to Xorg.

    What we are hoping is that with some luck, it might become a viable alternative to Xorg on the desktop.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    I bet nobody from Wayland does even care about bsd and if they like something or not. The same like with systemd - they're made with Linux in mind and for Linux.
    Wayland is a specification, just like X11. It's up to those who implement the spec whether or not it will work on so and so an OS. If there are methods of doing what Wayland needs done, but different to the Linux kernel, then they need to be documented if you want implementers (gtk, qt, etc.) to work on your kernel/platform. If they don't exist, then you have some choices to make.

    systemd is not a specification, it's a complete system for bringing up and managing services (and probably more; I'm not well versed in what exactly it does, since I don't need to be). Someone else is free to take it and modify it to work on their OS, or take the idea and make their own unique implementation (doesn't even have to be a complete implementation, and certainly doesn't need to all be done by one component), but it is designed specifically with the Linux kernel in mind and it doesn't look like that'll change soon.

    (edit: I doubt it matters whether they "like" it or not; it's those who implement the spec who ultimately get to decide what gets done and how, and for what platforms. The spec will evolve as new challenges are met, and the world will continue to revolve)
    Last edited by Nobu; 09-20-2011 at 01:59 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,173

    Default Meh

    I can't bring myself to care much about the license here. Or whether or not the BSDs choose to adopt Wayland.

    I guess in such a case, leaning towards the more permissive licenses is good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •