Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: A Major Rework To The X.Org Video Driver ABI

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,138

    Default A Major Rework To The X.Org Video Driver ABI

    Phoronix: A Major Rework To The X.Org Video Driver ABI

    One of the mailing list threads I've been trying to catch up on this week while at Oktoberfest is the heated discussion about merging video/input drivers back into the X.Org Servers. This discussion was started at the XDC2011 conference, but there's many e-mails being exchanged from more parties not in favor of merging the drivers into the xorg-server tree or wishing to see other developmental process changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTkzMA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    I wonder what's so wrong with the X.org video ABI that it needs a rewrite?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    may i also ask why people (dave actually) have to go through all the trouble rewriting a binary interface for a technology (xorg) that will be -as it seems- a thing of the past in a few years????

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    may i also ask why people (dave actually) have to go through all the trouble rewriting a binary interface for a technology (xorg) that will be -as it seems- a thing of the past in a few years????
    This is only a guess, but I think that it's because no serious developer is expecting xorg to be a thing of the past in a few years.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    This is only a guess, but I think that it's because no serious developer is expecting xorg to be a thing of the past in a few years.
    not being a thing of the past is one thing. rewriting an important -as far as i understand- part is another.

    seriously i was expecting people (devs) to start putting xorg in a bugfix only mode as many of them seem to agree that the graphics need to move forward

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    I wonder what's so wrong with the X.org video ABI that it needs a rewrite?
    That you can't change your video adapter on-the-fly with the current model. You want to see seamless graphics switch and optimus in x.org one day, right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynxeye View Post
    That you can't change your video adapter on-the-fly with the current model. You want to see seamless graphics switch and optimus in x.org one day, right?
    X.org will be installed by default for at most 4 years from now. It'll take 1-2 years to make the ABI stable, ship to distros and get Nvidia to support it. So you're gonna "enjoy" optimus at best for 1-2 years before Wayland kicks in for serious.

    I'd rather wish they put X.org into maintenance mode (since it's good enough and dying) and concentrate on Wayland (and on open source GL drivers) to make Wayland a reality in like 2 years from now, not in 4.
    Last edited by cl333r; 09-22-2011 at 08:47 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    all i want out of xorg, or wayland for that matter, is nested login screens with hardware accelerated 3d support. if wayland supports multiple mouse pointers and keyboards then that'll also be a plus.

    considering linux's graphics performance is comparable to windows, intel, nvidia, amd, and via already have enough work on their hands trying to get wayland to work. i think xorg at this point should focus on just cleaning up it's code and be used for legacy purposes at this point.

    sure it's a shame that it has a foreseeable demise, but i think it's a lot more practical to just use a completely new display server than it is to continuously re-write a ~20 year old server.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    X.org will be installed by default for at most 4 years from now.
    Is there ANY credible basis for this claim whatsoever?

    As far as I can tell, this is a phoronix forum meme gone out of hand.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Is there ANY credible basis for this claim whatsoever?

    As far as I can tell, this is a phoronix forum meme gone out of hand.
    "Credible" means different things to different people, I read enough arguments and facts that make it credible for me. You're free to believe whatever, even that X.org will be in active use for the next century.
    I didn't say _that_ to start a Wayland rant, but for people to understand why I'm saying it doesn't make much sense working too much on X.org.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •