Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The KDE vs. GNOME Schism In Free Software

Hybrid View

Default The KDE vs. GNOME Schism In Free Software

Phoronix: The KDE vs. GNOME Schism In Free Software

For those looking for an interesting read today, Martin GršŖlin, the maintainer of KDE's KWin and known for his insightful blog posts, has written about fighting the schism in free software; in particular, the KDE vs. GNOME battle...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk0Nw

I like the fact that there is a schism between Desktop Environments. Sure there should be some cooperation, but I would hate to see real competition diminish. Get too close and smarmy, and you end up with only one desktop environment, and IMHO that would be a very bad thing. I despise the direction of the Gnome project. I don't want to see KDE cozying up too close to them, but I won't get into a firey debate on why. I just like a nice distance between the two, with some healthy respect, but also a firm dislike.
    Last edited by FreeBooteR69; 09-27-2011 at 01:20 PM.

I used to think that gnome was good and kde sucked.

Now they both suck.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Now they both suck.
    Yeah, the real battle will be between XFCE and LXDE after everyone dumps Gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    Yeah, the real battle will be between XFCE and LXDE after everyone dumps Gnome.
    The real winner here (and overall in Linux) may be Unity in Ubuntu. It really looks like a product with vision and users in mind. About Grasslin, I think the guy sometimes doesn't know what he's talking about:

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...r-interaction/

Itís the argument I hate most when it comes to adding new features or removing existing ones when needed. Nobody is going down the GNOME road and itís a very insulting statement towards the awesome GNOME developers for whom I have great respect.
    Why it's insulting? I don't want KDE to go the same way as Gnome, something wrong with that? Reading some of his responses makes me wonder in what world is he living?

You are not a Developer

Remember that you are not a developer. You should not try to discuss about technical details with developers: you cannot win. No matter how good your opinion is, no matter how smart you are, the developer is most likely an expert in his area and has a better view on issues. If he tells you something is not possible, it most likely is. If he tells you he cannot fix a bug, thatís the case. If he has to remove a feature, he has to. Please accept it, donít argue, you will make a fool out of yourself.
    That's a total bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    The real winner here (and overall in Linux) may be Unity in Ubuntu.
    Say what? Unity to me is the worst UI ever...to be relegated to netbooks or smartphones. While we need healthy competition between desktops, there should at least be some common ground

Why it's insulting? I don't want KDE to go the same way as Gnome, something wrong with that? Reading some of his responses makes me wonder in what world is he living?
    I think you're reading that quote out of context - I think he's actually saying the same thing as you, complaining about people who argue "this isn't Gnome" as a reason why their requested feature should be added to KDE. Much of that blog post amounts to "developers are mature adults; please act like one when dealing with them", with a distinct dislike of users who act as if entitled to make demands.

The real winner here (and overall in Linux) may be Unity in Ubuntu. It really looks like a product with vision and users in mind.
    Have to agree. I actually want to try it out when the new Ubuntu is released.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    I used to think that gnome was good and kde sucked.

Now they both suck.
    Thats so true, it deserves to be a slashdot sig.
    And its sad too.

Unity sucks. Unity sucks, Ubuntu sucks!.
    And yet I hate it only because of awkward interface and Mac cargo cult, the fact the its compiz based is fine, and I do use compiz

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
    Thats so true, it deserves to be a slashdot sig.
    And its sad too.

Unity sucks. Unity sucks, Ubuntu sucks!.
    And yet I hate it only because of awkward interface and Mac cargo cult, the fact the its compiz based is fine, and I do use compiz
    Have you got emerald working with the compiz 0.9 series?

The other windowdecorators seem like way too deprived in functionality to me.

Emerald may be long abandoned software but for me it's still the best one in existence.