Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: The KDE vs. GNOME Schism In Free Software

Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    I would join the linux-rt-user list, and ask the questions you wish to have answered. I kinda forgot, that i had re-installed on that laptop, so no-go on thoe links (unless, i have that partition backed up somewhere). ...and yeah CONFIG_HZ has to be set to 1000 for RT. anyways, liam that is where i would look, people on the RT will have the anwsers to your questions, and also are more likely to be able to point you to the most relevant white papers, and info around the internet.

Not surprising. Myself, i usually don't use RT, until it is fairly stable. But whenever, a new patch/version comes out, it is not uncommon to see on the RT-user list, people who have been running tests for long periods of time. more common than that though, is people running cyclitest, to find out the best and worst case scenarios of latency.

cheerz
    Well, thanks for the effort.
    Here's a whitepaper (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=investigating%20latency%20effects %20of%20the%20linux%20real-time%20preemption&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&ur l=http%3A%2F%2Fversalogic.com%2Fdownloads%2Fwhitep apers%2FReal-time_Linux_Benchmark.pdf&ei=3y2vTv_7Kcji0QHCv8jaAQ &usg=AFQjCNHA3v4J0zyJ9aLFhbsDsIEmwYvtzQ) that uses a few different tests and RT patches. It's one of the more interesting ones I've come across.

Best/Liam

Quote Originally Posted by NomadDemon View Post
    i have delta 1010LT now, but.. i need more than 8 tracks, drums is more then 8 microphones.

albo.. firewire is good if someone in my studio, wants they own laptop or stuff, so i can switch fast.
    Yes, 8 tracks can be a limitation, and can be used to mic drums ~ but obviously, if you want to do things like mic everything from both the top and bottom of the drum, then no, obviously not enough tracks.

problem is, delta 1010 have only 2 input ballanced[dmx cable LOL] , no preamps and its not "rack" construction.
    why didn't you buy the 1010 over the 1010LT, if you wanted a rack?

As for preamps, personally in my own experiences - you should really consider buying a 'real' preamp (or more than one), usually most audio interfaces come with shitty preamps to begin with. I remember back in the day when i used the digi001, i hated it's preamps. I have a buddy who owns a presonus, i forget which model (one of the bigger rackmount's) and he also won't use it's preamps... if you are game on spending money, buying a good preamp will make a big difference.

ECH products are fully supported, but they suck a bit, no "DMX" inputs, no inserts, only stuff with inserts is presonus i found, but albo not suported, USB cards suck, so only firewire are good, delta 1010 i will move to other comp, cause of midi stuff and 8 channels, to "practice room" to record practices of bands etc. but in studio i want realy good stuff.. did you try "lightbridge" stuff ?
    nope, never tried it.

Ya, not too many audio interfaces provide separate inserts ( as for every insert, the device is basically providing 1 input/1 output). you can however, use any input & output to create an insert, but obviously you are taking away, from you max. inputs... In my case, whenever i do this - it generally is during the mixing process, and not the recording process. Which i think works fine ( i currently, am never using more than 5 or 6 inserts anyway), and essentially, makes that issue go away.

Don't get me wrong, firewire is good. i just didn't want to use it. I've had firewire act flaky in the past, not all motherboards seem to do it 'right'. (the same is also true of USB2.0, for example, i have 1 machine that can use my old USB2.0 audio interface perfectly, while the other machine will only use it's USB1.1 - USB2.0 just fails). Firewire on my laptop isn't trustworthy, so i decided on my workstation, that i would prefer to stick with PCI - as in general, i've had much better experiences with it... i really didn't feel like gambling on something, regardless of being able to return it or not.

for me, the 1010LT is fine. it works well with Jackd, provides a decent number of inputs/outputs. I have other gear that provides phantom-power, preamps, and all of the rest of that jazz, so I don't have too much to complain about.

EDIT: i was just thinking, have you thought about switching to something with an ADAT interface? it might open up some new avenues, for you.
    Last edited by ninez; 10-31-2011 at 10:40 PM.

rightnow i have delta 1010LT and behringer henyx mixer [crappy stuff, but dont have cash for better right now] and iam using its preamps [4 days ago i sold ART MP tube preamp [it was not so bad, better than mixer shit] but its a toy, not super stuff. i buy it for 10$ and sold for 20$, heh.

inserts are in USb stuff from maudio [fasttrack], how about stacking 2 delta1010LT in linux? ubuntu studio mostly ?

recording works best in ardour for me, recording and "pasting" tracks, cubase suck at this point, cant play 2 sound on 1 track at same time etc.. always plays top sound on track, mute'ing bottom sound.

only problem i had was with alsa xruns sometimes what i did wrong?

other problem was with recording "live" concerts, with firewire just need to take a good laptop with buildin port, "racktower" with compresors, enchancers, gates, limiters, interface and mixer, so just connect with 1 cable and its done.

so you say even super preamps in interfaces are crap? so how about buy presonus, with only jack in[no xlr in] and 8 inserts? it should work native on linux. in future i think to use 8 tube preamps in 1 rack stuff [2u]
    Last edited by NomadDemon; 11-01-2011 at 05:40 AM.

rightnow i have delta 1010LT and behringer henyx mixer [crappy stuff, but dont have cash for better right now] and iam using its preamps [4 days ago i sold ART MP tube preamp [it was not so bad, better than mixer shit] but its a toy, not super stuff. i buy it for 10$ and sold for 20$, heh.

inserts are in USb stuff from maudio [fasttrack], how about stacking 2 delta1010LT in linux? ubuntu studio mostly ?
    running 2 soundcards with Jackd, may be an issue. I personally, have only done it once (using Ladish) and in my case it was crashy, plus i was using 2 cheap cards (i used the capture from the 2nd card). You might want to read up on that though. I know that you also must have the soundcards sync'd using wordclock in order for them to work coherently.

cheerz

recording works best in ardour for me, recording and "pasting" tracks, cubase suck at this point, cant play 2 sound on 1 track at same time etc.. always plays top sound on track, mute'ing bottom sound.

only problem i had was with alsa xruns sometimes what i did wrong?
    xruns are caused by all sorts of things, so i am not entirely sure. The only time that i really get xruns, is from using Windows VSTs, not all of them, just the odd one. But even in that case for me, it is only when they are launched or shutdown, that i get an xrun.

These days i mostly use OOmidi, i mainly use Ardour for more advanced sample-editing. I prefer OOmidi for sequencing and tracking over Ardour3.

other problem was with recording "live" concerts, with firewire just need to take a good laptop with buildin port, "racktower" with compresors, enchancers, gates, limiters, interface and mixer, so just connect with 1 cable and its done.
    The key there being 'good' laptop that has a good implementation of firewire (not all laptops are equal in this area). About the one 'cable' idea...For the same reason, that is why i suggested finding a (linux) supported card that has ADAT. Then you could be buy some external gear (racks/mixer) that uses ADAT and have something more along the lines of 16tracks + compression/preamps/etc, all piped in, using a single cable. My friend uses RME for this very reason. (he's been using his for years with linux, without any real problems).

so you say even super preamps in interfaces are crap? so how about buy presonus, with only jack in[no xlr in] and 8 inserts? it should work native on linux. in future i think to use 8 tube preamps in 1 rack stuff [2u]
    Not all built in preamps are crap, just the majority -> especially in the more 'consumer grade' proaudio solutions. You can buy a real preamp, that sounds better than most that are offered in AD/DA audio interfaces. Mainly, because a good preamp is designed to be just that - a good preamp.

I also wouldn't make the assumption that presonus will be supported (this i don't know). you'll probably need to research that one.

cheerz
    Last edited by ninez; 11-01-2011 at 08:59 AM.

i mostly record pure "acoustic" signal, not midi, like drums, guitars, vocals, bass guitar etc, none of band that play in my studio have any keyboard or something.