Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 127

Thread: The KDE vs. GNOME Schism In Free Software

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,066

    Default

    To be pedantic, PulseAudio was linked with Gnome3 (which apparently has it as a hard build dependency). It has always been an optional dependency for KDE SC (although some applications may require it).

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    That Gnome 3 uses PulseAudio shouldn't be a problem; all devs that use Gnome 3 will then recognise the need to fix strict Alsa driver talk (PulseAudio doesn't have drivers as it only routes).

    All Gnome 3 programmers can keep using Alsa and OSS, because having a hard dependancy on something doesn't limit _YOU_ from using something else.

    What a non-discussion BTW. Pulseaudio was since the second Ubuntu release using this, simply working perfect for me. It's a Alsa and OSS to/from Pulseaudio driver thing that some experience with specific Alsa and OSS drivers, but not for everyone.

    It's like blaming Mesa for a Gallium driver bug -_-'

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    343

    Default

    vincent.. bitch please... theres NO DMX CABLE... its XLR CABLE....
    i have my own record studio co i know what iam saying...

    DMX is audio-video controler for lights etc, but i uses XLR cable.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    OK fine, call it XLR (I've always heared people calling it a DMX cable).

    Totally moot, though, as I've put that picture there.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    OK fine, call it XLR (I've always heared people calling it a DMX cable).

    Totally moot, though, as I've put that picture there.
    Also: "That's not a monitor cable; it DVI, dumbass! A monitor is not a cable!!!111 one one eleven"

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Except for some analog audio, DMX cables are used for everything now, even mics. They are the standard connectors now. If they were for light only, then why are there mics with DMX connection? Why are there keyboards which you can hook up only with DMX? To produce light I'm sure.... Not.

    You can quote Wikipedia all day you like, but these cables connect everything now. A quick google will return results.
    again, there is no such thing as DMX cable. mr.expert

    XLR is used with lots of shit, yes. mixing consoles, microphones, DMX, studio monitors, etc ,etc. But that isn't anything new (as you seem to be implying, by the use of 'there are the standard connectors now', using XLR has been the case for generations, and by generations i mean it was invented in the 50s. It's nothing new, DMX came later. I think you forgot the other links that i posted, which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you were wrong about MIDI, and how necessary it is for many musicians, and how all DAWs are using MIDI, contrary to what you seem think.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    It might be better to stop discussing, since you have a very outdated experience with reality. I've worked with them myself, but Ninez insists Wikipedia is there to fix my reality.
    Wikipedia was the easiest to quickly post some prime examples. XLR isn't used to connect modern keyboards, it's more common for 1/4inch and midi to be used, as well as USB (but the keyboard is still sending midi data over USB). it doesn't matter if you have worked with them, you don't even know what they are called, and in most cases what they are and they are NOT used for. - you have already proven that dude.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    For those wondering how this entire discussion got started; some retard linked the KDE SC with Pulseaudio and Ninez came flaming that Pulseaudio somehow introduced a few miliseconds delay in recording MIDI signal, even though you can get around PulseAudio and talk to ALSA directly, since Pulseaudio sits on top of that.
    not quite accurate. learn to read.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    But anyway: MIDI seems to attract audiophiles that say that latency is important when doing studio recording, even though you can get sound from the keyboard from the keyboard directly and place the MIDI recoring back 20s for the master recording.
    MIDI is used by the whole entire music industry in software and hardware. Stop pretending that you know what you are talking about. You don't. Go to any Musical hardware manufacturers website and look for yourself, midi is used in everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Stujpid bullshit that anybody who worked with profesional audio in the last 5 years will emediately counter.
    keeping going with your delusions, again, i went to a Music/technology program (which FYI Selkirk is a path to continue onto Berkley's music program) for 2 years. I've been in more than a few decent recording facilities, with up-to-date technology. I have an audio workstation, own several keyboards, and other electronic toys, guitars, professional mics, preamps, racks, etc, etc.

    you don't know shit, vignorant - and you need to stop pretending that you do.

    it's really laughable.

    cheers
    Last edited by ninez; 10-28-2011 at 04:04 PM.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Dear Ninez,

    Maybe it's not getting through, but why would a professional recording studio use the computer as a synthesizer? Do the artists play first and tune later, or do they let my radio synthesize the MIDI?

    Yes I thought so too.

    Calling something wrong because a cable that has the very purpose of connecting DMX, but is actually called XLR, is just nitpickingly running out of arguments.

    Cheers to you too.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Dear Ninez,

    Maybe it's not getting through, but why would a professional recording studio use the computer as a synthesizer? Do the artists play first and tune later, or do they let my radio synthesize the MIDI?
    Go spend some time in a high end studio, bud. For one that product i pointed out, the receptor - one of it's two main functions is to be used in a studio to 'off-load' virtual instruments, instead of having the computer to do the work, the other purpose of it, is to be able to replicate your 'studio-sound'. You can actually, watch them talk about that in the demo videos. Now why do they say that do you think??? hmm, i wonder if it is possible, that people are using virtual synthesizers / and instruments in the studios??? (rhetorical, and judging by just has many peices of software there are on the market, all i can do is laugh at you, for claiming otherwise)

    It isn't uncommon AT ALL to be using a virtual instruments /keyboards / synthesizers in the studio.

    furthermore, what the hell are you even trying to say on the second part? Yes, instruments should always be tuned before playing, way to state the obvious!!!.... but what do you mean 'or do they let my radio synthesize the midi' - are you retarded are something???!?? geez ...lol

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Calling something wrong because a cable that has the very purpose of connecting DMX, but is actually called XLR, is just nitpickingly running out of arguments.
    No no, you are wrong because you think DMX is used to do things, inwhich it is NOT. you are wrong becasue you think midi isn't even used at all, when in fact, it is quite the opposite. it is the standard. So i haven't run out of arguments, you simply haven't provided any good ones - at all! Putting up a picture of a DMX (XLR!) cable is just funny, and claiming it is used for 'everything' including the function of what midi provides, is just funny! especially, since you claim to know everything about it.

    you're a joke, Vig.

    bye.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    It's OK, Ninez. You don't have to post thought through comments and keep raging.

    I still am not convinced about anything you screamed so far, with your multiple question marks in a row.

    There are simply producers who have a proffesional studio for producing music, which is all "XLR" (OMG jargon difference <_<) cables for mixing and USB non-MIDI keyboards. Why else would it only work with certain applications? Might that not be because it's not MIDI?

    RECORDING studios never use realtime computer synthesizing, simpley because it's about recording, not producing.

    This whole thing is about PulseAudio adding too much latency appearantly, which is supposed to suck, as you were saying, but the your turn around "Ofcourse not pc synthesizing OMG".

    You're not only contradicting yourself; you're raging like a twelve year old, spitting useless name calling (luckily there's no spit transmission or Phoronix needed to be cleaned) and shouting to be so professional. You're not a professional, because I can tell you can't even communicate with humans.

    So indeed; "bye".

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    It's OK, Ninez. You don't have to post thought through comments and keep raging.

    I still am not convinced about anything you screamed so far, with your multiple question marks in a row.
    the question was rhetorial, i wasn't posing an actual question. (but that should've been obvious).

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    There are simply producers who have a proffesional studio for producing music, which is all "XLR" (OMG jargon difference <_<) cables for mixing and USB non-MIDI keyboards.
    XLR is for audio (and DMX, which again is far stage stuff). furthermore, just because there are producers using QWERTY keyboards (which FYI, for sequencing QWERTY is translated into MIDI), doesn't mean that *everyone* does, and midi is useless. If you haven't noticed, not every musician on the planet is a dubstep producer pressing keys on his macbook, and quite frankly, that doesn't qualify as a professional 'studio', you need lots of high-end racks and bot digital and analog gear to get the best sound...oh, And if you happen to have meant a usb-keyboard (as in with piano keys, USB keys like that still use midi). And, YES there are studios which are 100% analog, but even they aren't using just XLR, they would be using 1/4inch just as commonly.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Why else would it only work with certain applications? Might that not be because it's not MIDI?
    DMX isn't used for the purposes that midi is. DAWs don't use DMX, they use midi. What are you really trying to say here, in your questions. that you have no idea what you are talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    RECORDING studios never use realtime computer synthesizing, simpley because it's about recording, not producing.
    Wrong. it is done all of the time. Again, if you don't know what you are talking about, then you should just drop it.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    This whole thing is about PulseAudio adding too much latency appearantly, which is supposed to suck, as you were saying, but the your turn around "Ofcourse not pc synthesizing OMG".
    the conversation changed, when you jumped in, or do you not remember that - and you brought up how 'midi is never used' and how DMX is used for everything. I pointed out that you were 100% incorrect about that. Now, i've pointed you to resource after resource that illustrates even to a total laymen that you are incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    You're not only contradicting yourself; you're raging like a twelve year old, spitting useless name calling (luckily there's no spit transmission or Phoronix needed to be cleaned) and shouting to be so professional. You're not a professional, because I can tell you can't even communicate with humans.
    What are you failing to understand??? I made it really obvious, and then you reply - to something that was already addressed.

    Where exactly did i contradict myself??? Do you mean when i said that the 'Receptor' can be used to off-load? if so, that isn't a contradiction. In case you're not understanding something, that was a case in point. Why would you design a product that can 'off-load' synthesis, if you're never doing it in the first place??? - again, that not really a question it is rhetorical. Furthermore, the other example that i gave (which you seem to not be able to grasp), was that the Receptor was designed to take your 'studio' production sounds (ie: VSTi's) with you, live.

    again, why design a product with both of those ideas at the forefront, if no one uses Vsti's and realtime synthesis in the studio??? again (since, you seem to not understand, this is a rhetorical question - ie: i already know the answer, i hope that me spelling this out help you to understand obvious things). On top of all of that my good buddy Vig, you fail to realize that in big studios, you are going to have analog synths/modules that have midi, that will be controlled from the DAW (and audio from module routed in), you external keyboards that might be using an Arp, and you need Midi-sync to have your keyboard play in sync with your track (setting the BPM, externally doesn't cut it).

    (oh and before, you go and say i contradicted myself again, some VSTi's produce sounds not easily found in hardware (like a synth module), so there is good reason to use them).

    you really, just have no idea. You think helping your friends setup a party, watching them DJ makes you an expert, but you've been wrong on pretty much all acounts, and since you're a little ass swipe, i'll stick it to you, and be rude about it.

    and about not being able to communicate with humans, you're a dipshit Vig. you came in here with your fists out, saying 'this day was going to be historical, bla bla bla' and that you were going to stick it to me, or whatever.... you tried, you failed and you're a little bitch, and there is no reason for me to talk to you in a 'professional' way, you asked for it, and this is Phoronix forum, not my workplace Futhermore, etiquette, respect, etc has nothing to do with one's understanding or knowledge of this particular subject (music/audio production), you trying to paint a picture that they some how are, is simply false. what a little weasel you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    So indeed; "bye".
    poor vig. have a great day, pal.
    Last edited by ninez; 10-29-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •