Thread: FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 3 Released

Hybrid View

Default FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 3 Released

Phoronix: FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 3 Released

The FreeBSD community has released a third beta of their forthcoming FreeBSD 9.0 operating system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk1Ng

Default No ZFS root

Sadly, the new installer still doesn't support root on ZFS (Unclear if it really supports ZFS at all). Via google, I found a very manual way of installing FreeBSD to get a ZFS only system (not even a UFS /boot), but I'd rather have the installer do that. PC-BSD let me install FreeBSD (for those who don't know, the PC-BSD installer gives the option to install FreeBSD) on ZFS root (but I think I still needed a UFS /boot), but PC-BSD only installs FreeBSD. Nothing gets configured (empty or non-existent /etc/rc.conf).

I think I'll stick with UFS (FFS) for now, as the lack of any real installer support really makes me feel ZFS is half baked in FreeBSD.

Quote Originally Posted by hiryu View Post
    Sadly, the new installer still doesn't support root on ZFS (Unclear if it really supports ZFS at all). Via google, I found a very manual way of installing FreeBSD to get a ZFS only system (not even a UFS /boot), but I'd rather have the installer do that. PC-BSD let me install FreeBSD (for those who don't know, the PC-BSD installer gives the option to install FreeBSD) on ZFS root (but I think I still needed a UFS /boot), but PC-BSD only installs FreeBSD. Nothing gets configured (empty or non-existent /etc/rc.conf).

I think I'll stick with UFS (FFS) for now, as the lack of any real installer support really makes me feel ZFS is half baked in FreeBSD.
    Sounds like the PC-BSD installer needs to add full support for ZFS